Assistance with Registro di Leva letter (please)

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
whymse
Rookie
Rookie

Assistance with Registro di Leva letter (please)

Post by whymse »

Hello,

I would like to write to the Archivo di Stato di Napoli for my gggf's enlistment records.
I have emailed a bad online translation but received no response. I believed he was from Padula because there is an entry for him on familysearch.org, but the Archivo di Stato di Salerno responded quickly to my email and told me they could not find him in their records.

My problem is I have 4+ unique names for him, so I can't use a basic form letter and would beg for any assistance anyone could offer to specifically ask for his records to be searched.

1894 Naturalization - Michael Valiano
1900 Deed to Brooklyn home - Mikal Valando
1900 Census - Michele Valiante
1910 Census - Michael Valiando
1920 Census - Mike Valinado
1930 Census - Michael Valiendo
1946 Death in Brooklyn - Michael Valiando

He came to the US ~1880, so he should have enlisted in the conscription in Italy from what I understand.

Most of the children used Valiando on their marriage certificates, and that is the name that "stuck" until today.

Can someone recommend a short letter in Italian that I can write to:
Sede centrale:
piazzetta del Grande Archivio,
80138 Napoli

Asking to search for Michele Valiano / Valiante / Valando / Valiando born 1856 in the province of Napoli?

Thank you very much in advance... With the help of this board I have gotten everything I have needed to, but I can't make the jump to where he was from in Italy.
whymse
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Assistance with Registro di Leva letter (please)

Post by whymse »

Nevermind... With suanj's help we have found his records in Padula, and I won't need to write the above letter. Thanks though.