Medival Latin

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
trevisan2
Master
Master

Medival Latin

Post by trevisan2 »

Is there an recommendation on how to learn to read the Medival Latin for a beginner?

I am interested in at least being able to pick out names, dates and places in the records at the State Archives of the "Archivio di Stato" at Treviso.

Also, I am researching Testiments and need to have a guide for the abbreviations in the 1600 to early 1700's.

Regards,
Trevisan2
Researching in the provincia di Treviso, Italy, Provaglio Sopra, Val Sabbia of Brescia.
Domege di Cadore, Cavalo, Fumane, Verona

Forno di Rivara, TO, Canischio, TO
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Medival Latin

Post by PeterTimber »

Here are websites tailored for your needs. www.genealogy-quest.com/glossaries/latin.html and www.familysearch.org under RESEARCH GUIDANCE for LATIN Genealogical Word List or http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... bsites.asp

Type in LATIN. =Peter=
~Peter~
trevisan2
Master
Master

Post by trevisan2 »

Thanks Peter

I am looking over the Latin word list, which is helpful. I have ordered some books on the Medival Latin, which is the 1200's to the mid 1600's.

One thing I know for sure is there is a transition of the style of writting, depending on the time period and especially the country and even the region. Like Northern Italy vs. Southern Italy.

I have been reading a few chapters from a book that details a survey on all written scripts in Western Europe. I am only studing the ones of Semitextualis In Italy and Gothic- Antiqua in Italy, which talks about the transition from the 1200's to the mid 1600's.

I am trying to get better prepared for my next trip to the Treviso State Archive. Much of my research now is getting down to the early 1600's.
I am researching a Vendrame family that I am sure goes back to the 1200's. Everything about them is listed as Posiente.

I saw this one book of sorts, all hand pened by the "Notio" in the 1500's that was off the scale for reading.

Do you know of any web sites that have a version of the actual hand writting of Vogular Latin to Latin to Medival Latin, in regards to the research words?

Regards,
Trevisan2
Researching in the provincia di Treviso, Italy, Provaglio Sopra, Val Sabbia of Brescia.

PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Trevisan I have a limited knowledge of the subject matter but am familiar with the possible sources for the specific information you are seeking.

If you go to www.fornieditore.com and review their general catalogue under index by Subjects (linguistics medieval, law etc) and by local history under Tre Venezie whichincludes Treviso. The local History catalogue is further divided by specific cities and towns as well as provinces reflecting folklore, dialects, uses and customs, linguistics, heraldry, geography etc.

This antiquarian book dealer has agencies In Limena (Padova) at Angelo Vecchi & C.srl. Their e-mail address is vecchisrli@vecchi.191.it

I have inthe past consulted with their book people on specific books that I sought and were very helpful and responsive. =Peter=
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Trevisan please let me know if you find what you are looking for so that I can know whats available for others should similar requests come into the forum. Thank You. =Peter=
~Peter~
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

Dave I sent you a PM regarding Nebbiu.

Thanks
Jim
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

I am sure you have probably seen this list of Latin abbreviations before,
and I could not locate a time frame for which they were written, but just in case you haven't seen them.... :D

Latin Abbreviations

wldspirit

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

There is a Medieval and Renaissance Society in the uSA that may prove helpful for referral and reference works. Go to www.RSA.org =Peter=
~Peter~
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Trevisan I was browsing thru the www.RSA.org website and wanted to draw to your attentionthat there are microfilm of the Corpus of indexes to printed catalogues of Latin manuscripts thru 1600. Since you are headed in this direction I thought that perhaps this might be helpful as well. =Peter=
~Peter~
trevisan2
Master
Master

Post by trevisan2 »

thanks Peter and wldspirit, the links are greatly appreciated. I appreciate the link to the Latin site that wldspirit gave, I lost it from before.
grazie mille
Trevisan2

wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

Always happy to help out Trevisan!!
Lee :D

"Cambiano i suonatori ma la musica è sempre quella."