help with translation of birth record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

help with translation of birth record

Post by VaDeb »

Can anyone translate the following from a 1904 Amantea Italy birth record:

After the name of the person reporting the birth, age, occupation, the date and time of event reported reads “da lla sua legittima moglie’ Spinelli Domenica, contradina, ?secoli? ?currinet? in questo commune.

From his legitimate wife, Domenica Spinelli, farmer, ? ? of this town.

The last section give the names of witnesses, ages, and occupations and reads “Letto il presente atto agli interessati viv sotto scritto da me fable, ?avemdi? detto gli altri efsere (or epere) analfabeta.

Read the present action to interested ones, undersigned by me … others being illiterate.

Thanks for any help or ideas.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: help with translation of birth record

Post by suanj »

VaDeb wrote:Can anyone translate the following from a 1904 Amantea Italy birth record:

After the name of the person reporting the birth, age, occupation, the date and time of event reported reads “da lla sua legittima moglie’ Spinelli Domenica, contradina, ?secoli? ?currinet? in questo commune.

From his legitimate wife, Domenica Spinelli, farmer, ? ? of this town.

The last section give the names of witnesses, ages, and occupations and "reads “Letto il presente atto agli interessati viv sotto scritto da me fable, ?avemdi? detto gli altri efsere (or epere) analfabeta.

Read the present action to interested ones, undersigned by me … others being illiterate.

Thanks for any help or ideas.
little help for you, why is necessary well to write Italian words. Some are clearly evil interpreted ..draft of formulas in ancient bureaucratic Italian language, regards, suanj

-"da lla sua legittima moglie’ Spinelli Domenica, contradina,(contadina=farmer) ?secoli? (not probable: secoli..misspelled.. perhaps :seco= con se= with he)currinet?(misspelled.. probable resident) in questo commune(Comune=Common)."

By Domenica Spinelli wife legitimate, farmer ...?....?in this Common.

-"Letto il presente atto agli interessati viv (is:ivi=qui=here)sotto scritto( probable: sottoscritti= underwrite)da me fable,( misspelled?? probable: firmato=signed)avemdi?(???..probable= avendo) detto gli altri efsere (or epere???probable: essere=to be) analfabeta."

Read the present document to interested here underwrite, signed by me, … having said the other(persons) illiterate being.
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Birth Record translation

Post by VaDeb »

Suanji, I really appreciate your help. Interpreting the handwriting on these old birth records is challenging - especially since I do not speak Italian. I have been trying to figure out the letters and looking the words up in a dictionary so see if they exist and make any sense in the sentance. Some of your interpretations work, a few I just can't make fit what I am looking at.

"da lla sua legittima moglie; Spinelli Domenica, contradina, ?secoli does not look like seco se. seco and then a l or b.

The last section with the witnesses "Letto il presente atto agli interessati viv - this word maybe ivi, only one dot above a letter
sotto scritti - yes
da me fable - firmato - can't see this. Perhaps is solo
avendo - yes
detto gli altri efsere - essere - yes double ss seem to look like a f
analbabeta.

Hopefully a second look may provide answers. Thanks for the help.
Debbie
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi : send me to email with document in .jpg format, I translate better!!
I send a private message with my private email
:wink: suanj
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi Deb only two words not have been understand, legend= ..(?)Regards, suanj

The year 1904, day 17 of October, to antemeridian hours 11 and minuteren 40 in Communal House, in front of me Saverio Percisvalle, communal councilman, making by Mayor ........ (?)prevented Ufficiale dello Stato Civile of Amantea's Common, has appeared Muto Laso Francesco of years 35, peasant, domiciled in Amantea, which it has declared me that to antemeridian hours 3 and the minuteren >nothing of day 17 of current (currently month) month, in the house situated in Contrada Oliva to number---- by...(?) legitimate wife Spinelli Domenica, peasant, (seco lui=latin: with he) cohabiting with he (inhabitant together to husband) in this Common , a child of feminine sex is been born that it introduces to me and to which he places the name of Teresa. To how much over and to this action have been present which witnesses Sacrovini Albino of 27 years , peasant,and Provenzano Santo of 50 years, peasant both residents in this Common . Read the present document to interested it comes underwrite by only me, having said the other being illiterate,
Saverio Percisvalle

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
L'anno 1904, giorno 17 di Ottobre, a ore antimeridiane 11 e minuti 40 in Casa Comunale, davanti a me Saverio Percisvalle, consigliere comunale, facente da Sindaco...........defunto ed assente impediti Ufficiale dello Stato Civile del comune di Amantea, è comparso Muto laso francesco di anni 35, contadino,domiciliato in Amantea, il quale mi ha dichiarato che alle ore antimeridiane 3 e minuti niente del giorno 17 del corrente (attuale) mese, nella casa situata in Contrada Oliva al numero---------- da-----legittima moglie Spinelli domenica, contadina, seco lui convivente (abitante assieme al marito) in questo Comune, è nato un bambino di sesso femminile che egli mi presenta e a cui pone il nome di Teresa.
a quanto sopra e a questo atto sono stati presenti quali testimoni Sacrovini Albino di anni 27 contadino e Provenzano Santo di anni 50 contadino entrambi residenti in questo Comune. Letto il presente atto agli interessati viene sottoscritto da me solo, avendo detto gli altri essere analfabeti, Saverio Percisvalle
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Translation Birth Certificate

Post by VaDeb »

Thanky you so much for your help. This has been a very helpful website.

Debbie