Help with Italian Translation

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
cowgirlup

Help with Italian Translation

Post by cowgirlup »

Hi everybody! Hopefully somebody could help me out here; I am wondering how you would say "stay strong" in italian. (inner strong not muscle strong) I know that the word forza means strength(inner) in italian, but I'm not sure how to stay strong.....Any help is much appriciated!!
Thanks!! :D
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Help with Italian Translation

Post by elba »

cowgirlup wrote:Hi everybody! Hopefully somebody could help me out here; I am wondering how you would say "stay strong" in italian. (inner strong not muscle strong) I know that the word forza means strength(inner) in italian, but I'm not sure how to stay strong.....Any help is much appriciated!!
Thanks!! :D
Depending in what context it is being used (I am presuming it is the passing of someone...) you could say:

"sia forte (e risoluto)"

"stay strong (and resolute)"

elba
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
cowgirlup

Post by cowgirlup »

Well, my brother was just involved in a horrible car accident.....And there is a lot of scary legal stuff going on right now...And my father passed away a few years back... So would sia forte e risolutobe fitting or would something else be better?
Thanks for the reply!
elba
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by elba »

It's easier to give an idea of what to write when the context is known. So if this is for someone who is recovering from an accident you could say something like:

"Non perderti d'animo. Siamo più forti di quanto pensiamo, ma occorre un po' di tempo per ritrovare l'equilibrio. Dio ti aiuterà. Sia forte e risoluta - ce la farai."

Don't lose heart. We are stronger than we think, but it will take a little time to regain your balance. God will help you. Be strong and resolute - you can make it.

elba
If you think education is expensive - try ignorance!
"Gente di Mare Genealogy"
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Mantieni or Mantenete,( tu and plural voi form) Forte!! STAY STRONG This is the imperative for the irregular verb mantenere =Peter=
~Peter~
cowgirlup

Post by cowgirlup »

:D Thank you so much for replying! It is very helpful!!!
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

cowgirlup wrote:Hi everybody! Hopefully somebody could help me out here; I am wondering how you would say "stay strong" in italian. (inner strong ...)
Sii forte (II person singular)
Siate forti (II person plural)
Sia forte (III person singular: it's used for a person you don't know well, and you want to use a form of respect towards him/her)

L.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Lucap the words to be translated are STAY (not essere=be but either Stare =be or remain or Mantenere=maintain or keep) FORTE

The subjunctive essere you use is correct but not for this imperative.=Peter=
~Peter~
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

PeterTimber wrote:Mantieni or Mantenete,( tu and plural voi form) Forte!! STAY STRONG This is the imperative for the irregular verb mantenere =Peter=
"Caro" Peter, un italiano NON direbbe mai "mantieniti forte" (tra l'altro mantieniti forte e non mantieni forte) ma userebbe sicuramente altre espressioni, tipo:
- Sii forte
- Coraggio ( o fatti coraggio)
- Non mollare
- Resisti
- Vedrai che tutto si sistema
e tante altre frasi a seconda della situazione e del rappporto che si ha con la persona a cui ci si rivolge, ma di sicuro NON "mantieni forte"!!!

L.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Forse hai ragione perche ho scelto l'imperativo che non esiste espressioni idomatiche per Stay Strong in Italiano. Io Ricordo molto bene l' usanza di quelle parole MANTIENETI FORTE in Italia quand'ero studente a Perugia e poi dopo durante le altre viaggi in Italia. Attualmente ho scelto l'imperativo per questa ragione!

Grazie tanto per la sua spiegazione. Mentretanto ho cercato per un espressione idiomatiche e invece ho scoperto AVERE FEGATO=HAVE COURAGE. =Peter=
~Peter~
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

PeterTimber wrote:Io Ricordo molto bene l' usanza di quelle parole MANTIENETI FORTE in Italia quand'ero studente a Perugia e poi dopo durante le altre viaggi in Italia.
Mah! Forse avrai sentito espressioni tipo:
Mantieni la calma
Mantieni le promesse
Mantieni la destra
Mantieni la distanza
Mantieni il punto

Mantieniti forte non l'ho mai sentito... e pensare che abito soltanto a 70 km. da Perugia!

L.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Ho sentito usato da Perugia e tante altre parte d'italia ma non importa. =Peter=
~Peter~
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Peter,

I totally agree with Luca... I've never heard in my life "mantieniti forte"...

Laura

p.s. maybe it was "tieni duro"? (very confidential)
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Laura I never said Mantieneti Forte but Mantieni Forte which I remember being said as people embraced me goodbye whenever I was in Italy with close friends and relatives. In addition I am using the correct grammar for use of the phrase (whether you ever heard it or not) STAY STRONG in the imperative tense which meets the criteria for correct Italian grammar. In either case, wouldn't you have to translate into italian grammar an expression or words that you never heard before?? And when translating what words would you use (there are several and in what correct tense would you use?) in addition to the idiomatic expression "AVERE FEGATO"=have courage which I never heard of in my entire life!
=Peter=
~Peter~
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

PeterTimber wrote:in addition to the idiomatic expression "AVERE FEGATO"=have courage which I never heard of in my entire life!
Really?? it's a very used expression here in Italy....
Abbi fegato, lui ha tanto fegato, ha un fegato così.... it is very common...
However (being italian) I have never heard "mantieniti forte" and absolutely never "mantieni" that I believe it's the wrong verbal form for the second person....
But... I was just giving my little contribution :D

Laura