Italian birth certificate

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
teakandreggie
Rookie
Rookie

Italian birth certificate

Post by teakandreggie »

Hi,
I just rec'd my grandfather's birth certificate in the mail. I have a few question regarding the meaning of some phrases.

Data e luogo di nascita (and under it is written)
Date et lieu de naissance 06/09/1888
Is his date of birth or the date is was issued, I ask because he has sept 3 1888 as his date of birth on all his US papers.

There is a blue seal stamped several times on the 2 sheets, but it is not raised as is certified documents from the US. Is this acceptable? I need his birth certificate for dual citizenship.

Thanks
TeakandReggie
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Italian birth certificate

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Data e luogo di nascita (Italian) and Date et lieu de naissance (French) both mean "Date and place of birth."

The date "06/09/1888" is, of course, Setpember 6, 1888 as the date is writen European-style, DD/MM/YYYY. As to the 3 day discrepancy, I can only tell you that I had a 3 day discrepancy in my paternal grandfather's documents where his Italian birth certificate showed the 16th day of the month and all other documents (naturalization, death) showed the 19th.

The NYC consulate accepted the documents in July, 2008 without change, although I have read that they have tightened up the rules in recent months.

[edit]

Oh yeah, the documents I received from Italy were also of the "blue stamp" variety. They will be fine.
teakandreggie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by teakandreggie »

Thanks for the info. This is getting very intense. There are name discrepancies for my grandfather, his father and my mother on their birth, death, and marriage certificates. How do I know what should be amended and what the consulate will accept? Given name, American name and nickname. The surname is correct on ALL documents if this helps.
Jim and Jimmy for Vincenzo
Giovanni B. and John for Giambattista
Phyllis for Filomena

Should I do anything about my grandfather's Date of Birth discrepancy?
Any help would be appreciated.
TR
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

teakandreggie wrote:Thanks for the info. This is getting very intense. There are name discrepancies for my grandfather, his father and my mother on their birth, death, and marriage certificates. How do I know what should be amended and what the consulate will accept? Given name, American name and nickname. The surname is correct on ALL documents if this helps.
Jim and Jimmy for Vincenzo
Giovanni B. and John for Giambattista
Phyllis for Filomena

Should I do anything about my grandfather's Date of Birth discrepancy?
Any help would be appreciated.
TR
My personal opinion, which I am sure not everyone would agree with, is that you should amend/correct in advance everything you possibly can and then be prepared to be gently "persuasive" on the rest. I corrected my marriage certificate to add the "Jr." on my name (how on earth did I miss that??) and had the spelling of my mother's surname corrected on my birth certificate. There was nothing to be done with my Italian grandfather's New York death certificate ("Joseph" instead of "Giuseppe" on all other docs), nor with the 3 day discrepancy on his birthdate - luckily, the NYC consulate gave me a pass on those items (although I read that they have gotten much tougher as of late...).

I cannot say with authority, but I believe you will get a free pass on death certificates only because they really are quite meaningless in this process. I can think of only two reasons why they are requested, 1) so that the ancestral comune can update its records to the fullest extent possible and, 2) because if an ancestor is still living, he/she would need to complete a signed declaration as to his/her citizenship status and places of residence (you do this yourself for deceased ancestors).
teakandreggie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by teakandreggie »

Thanks for the advise. I will start amending everything that I can. My Date w the consulate is Nov 2010, so I have plenty of time.
Can you recommend a translator. I haven't heard of any translating nightmares, but then I haven't inquired. I'm in Long Island, NY and willing to travel to the city if needed.
Thanks for the advise.