Italian language courses in Italy

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Italian language courses in Italy

Post by jwazevedo »

I'd like to go to Italy and take a language course there. A friend has recommended the Dante Alighieri affiliate in Castelraimondo (La Marche). Any thoughts from those who've done this sort of thing?

Grazie,
Jerry
Squigy
Master
Master

Re: Italian language courses in Italy

Post by Squigy »

Now, I have no knowledge on this but, I think it depends on how well you already know the language. I think before going to Italy, you should have a general knowledge of Italian, then take the course to perfect it. As I said, this is just my opinion. I could be wrong, and if I am, I hope someone corrects me.
My Italian surnames:

Caserta: Maietta, Rossano, Tessitore, Negro, Peluso, Musone

Campobasso: D'Andrea, Barile

Catanzaro: Fiorelli/Fiorillo, Romito
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Dear Jwazevedo I attended the University of Perugia for one year many years ago in a course designed for foreigners. The University of Firenze may also have a similar program. You need not know the language and the secret to learning well, at least in my time, was to memorize grammar and then use it daily, read the newspaper which at first is gibberish but as you pick out words they become familar and little by little you begin to understand what is being discussed. Needless to say a female companion always helps.....

The websites www.verbix.com/languages/italian.shtml as well as
http://italian.about.com/library/verb/b ... ggiare.htm may give you a birds eye view of Italian grammar. Were it possible for you to memorize the regular verb endings, the irregular verb endings http://macosa.dima.unige.it/diz/irreg.htm you would be half way there!!!

=Peter=
~Peter~
jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jwazevedo »

Thanks for the language learning tips. I've been working with Pimsleur and with grammar. (I'll keep in mind your tip about the companion, Peter.) My question was specifically about the school, but it was a long shot to think that someone on the forum had experience with that particular school.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

You know all these methods of teaching you still require memorization even though you are told all you have to do is listen and repeat what you have learned... but how do you do that without memorizing??????

By memorizing grammar and learning the rules of grammar all you have to do is create. AT WILL, what you want to say in the tense you want to say it. You need then to just increase your vocabulary. Remember in Italy phrases and ways of saying things change but you always will be understood (and appreciated for your effort to speak good Italian much like when someone speaks good english.

I mean people speak bad english and they are born here!! "They would have went" instead they would have gone. It denotes your background and level of education. =Peter=
~Peter~
kingdict

Post by kingdict »

Windowsill?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

DAVANZALE DI FINESTRA = Window Sill =Peter=
~Peter~