LATIN TRANSLATION REQUEST

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Peggy21459

LATIN TRANSLATION REQUEST

Post by Peggy21459 »

A picture of the church my grandfather went to as a child in Deliceto, Italy shows the following carved over the entrance 'ERIS IN PESTE PATRONUS' Can anyone tell me what it means?

Peggy
Maurizio
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Maurizio »

The meaning is "You'll be (our) patron during (in case of) pestilence". It's an invocation/supplication probably directed to Saint Rocco, who traditionally is the saint invoked by Italian people to be protected by this plague. Is the church entitled to San Rocco?
Ciao, Maurizio
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: LATIN TRANSLATION REQUEST

Post by suanj »

Peggy21459 wrote:A picture of the church my grandfather went to as a child in Deliceto, Italy shows the following carved over the entrance 'ERIS IN PESTE PATRONUS' Can anyone tell me what it means?

Peggy
bravo Maurizio: " You will be the protecting in the plague. ..." regards, suanj
Peggy21459

THANK YOU!

Post by Peggy21459 »

Maurizio wrote:The meaning is "You'll be (our) patron during (in case of) pestilence". It's an invocation/supplication probably directed to Saint Rocco, who traditionally is the saint invoked by Italian people to be protected by this plague. Is the church entitled to San Rocco?
Ciao, Maurizio
Thank you so much for the translation! I think you helped me find the name of my grandfather's church. I had found two Catholic Churches in Deliceto (FG) and one IS Saint Rocco! I have a letter already to send to the pastor of the church.

Thank you once again.

Peggy
Peggy21459

Re: LATIN TRANSLATION REQUEST

Post by Peggy21459 »

suanj wrote:
Peggy21459 wrote:A picture of the church my grandfather went to as a child in Deliceto, Italy shows the following carved over the entrance 'ERIS IN PESTE PATRONUS' Can anyone tell me what it means?

Peggy
bravo Maurizio: " You will be the protecting in the plague. ..." regards, suanj
Thank you for the translation, Suanj. I think you and Maurizio have helped me find the name of the church!

Sincerely,
Peggy