translate profession listed in 1834 "Crivellatore"

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Storia

translate profession listed in 1834 "Crivellatore"

Post by Storia »

Hello everyone -

I am have difficulty reading the writing and then translating a man's profession.

I am looking at an "Atto della Solenne Promessa di celebrare il Matrimonio" from a Sicilian comune, dated 1834. My ancestor, the father of the groom, is listed with the title of "Maestro" before his name, he was reported to be sixty years of age, and his profession is listed and I cannot read or translate it. (I hope I have attached the image of the scan correctly!)

From other letters in the document, the letters look like the following:

Capital "C" "r" "i" "n or v or u" "e" "l" "l" "a" "r or t" "o" "r" "e"

so it could be "Crivellarore" or "Crinellatore" but I can find no translation of word like there. At wordreference.com I find: "crivellare", a verb meaning "to riddle" and "di colpi" meaning to "riddle with bullets." This makes no sense to me.

Please note: the son of this man, who is the groom, has his profession reported as: Contadino (farmworker, right?)

I made a previous inquiry into the title of "Maestro" and was informed this may be a title of respect or skill level or some leadership capacity.

Thank you for your assistance!!
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: translate profession listed in 1834 "Crivellatore&q

Post by johnnyonthespot »

I don't know, but perhaps the word is crivellare?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Crivellatore =
1 riddler, sifter
2 (miner.) jigger.
Storia

Post by Storia »

The sifter (in a mine), jiggler (as in sifting?) makes some sense.

This town is located up in the mountains and does have mineral deposits, especially a large salt mine. I don't know how the salt was mined in the early 1800's, if it required sifting to purify it?

Perhaps you could direct me to an online site that would better translate terms like this, since wordreference.com was not very good.

Thank you for this information!
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

I have used The Garzanti Dictionory on-line which is considered to be one of the best dictionaries available in Italy The link is: http://www.garzantilinguistica.it/
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

liviomoreno wrote:I have used The Garzanti Dictionory on-line which is considered to be one of the best dictionaries available in Italy The link is: http://www.garzantilinguistica.it/
Livio, was it you who once pointed us to this site?

Can you translate the defintion given at the above link?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Yes I believe that I pointed out that link.

The translation is:
Crivello, derives from Latin "Cribellum", which is the diminutive of "Cribrum" = "vaglio" (separator). Cribrum derives from the Greek root Kri-no (Latin Cer-no, pass tense Cre-vi)=I separate.

A tool, usually round, made of leather or metal, with holes, used to separate, clean up, grain, forage and similar from larger refuses.
misbris
Master
Master

Post by misbris »

Good English words woud be strainer (as in panning for gold) or sifter (as in sifting flour.) Think of the phrase "separating the gold from dross"
Storia

Post by Storia »

So, this term that is used for the profession of my ancestor could apply to sifting in a mine OR someone who sifted grain, as in separating the wheat from the chaff. And since Sicily is/was mostly an agricultural area, the latter probably relates most closely to the meaning of his profession. And as I have stated, his son was listed on this document as a "contadino."

Thank you!