Help! with Latin Marriage Record Translation

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Lili2
Rookie
Rookie

Help! with Latin Marriage Record Translation

Post by Lili2 »

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg49 ... 1811-1.jpg

I am very confused by this marriage record. I can barely read it because of the Latin abbreviations which I dont understand. Can anyone help with the translation?

There are several photos of the same entry some of which include the above marriage entry as sometimes it helps to compare words as they seem to follow a pattern. But Im only interested in the bottom entry dated 7/10/1811.

Does the "q" before all of the parents names indicate that the parents are deceased?

Any help appreciated.
Thanks, Liliana
Lili2
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Help! with Latin Marriage Record Translation

Post by Lili2 »

I meant to include this photo as well which should include the above entry as well.

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg49 ... oM1811.jpg

Liliana
My family are from Sicily: Fiumefreddo, Ficarra, Giampilieri, Cumia, Messina and Carmela Zagami,Argentina.
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

The picture is not clear and i can be sure about a few words, sorry.

Die 7 (or 5?) mensis 8bris 1812 (or 1817?)
Tribus denunciationibus praemissis in tribus diebus festivis inter missarum solem(ni)a prima fuit 20 7bris in die D(ominic)a(?) 2a 21 dicti [mensis] festa Sancti Matthei Apostoli et 3a 27 dicti [mensis] die D(ominic)a(?) 7bris pro matrimonio contrahendo inter Alphium Nodo filium leg(itimu)m et n(atura)lem q(uonda)m Sebastiani et q(uonda)m Joannae Manitto(?) sponsum ex una, et Vincentiam Currenti filiam leg(itima)m et n(atura)lem q(uonda)m Philippi et q(uonda)m(?) ... Costa vid(ua) rel(ictam) q(uondam) Joannis Costa sponsum ex altera, nulloq(ue) impedimento detecto Ego Sac(erdos) D. Georgius Biondo ex licentia ... Archip(resbite)ri Uni(versita)tis Catalabiani praedictos interrogavi p(er) verba de p(rese)nti matrimonialiter conjunxi j(uxta) R(itum) S(anctae) R(omanae) E(cclesiae) et S(acri) C(oncili) T(ridentini) ... coram testibus Caetano Musumeci et Alphio Cortesa.

Il giorno 7 di Ottobre 1812.
Premesse tre pubblicazioni in tre giorni festivi nei riti solenni della messa, delle quali la prima fu il 20 Settembre, giorno di Domenica, la seconda il 21 del detto [mese] festa di San Matteo Apostolo, e la terza il 27 del detto [mese] di Settembre, giorno di Domenica, per il matrimonio da contrarsi tra Alfio Nodo figlio legittimo e naturale del fu Sebastiano e della fu Giovanna Manitto coniugi da una parte, e Vincenza Currenti figlia legittima e naturale del fu Filippo e della fu(?) ... Costa vedova rellitta del fu Giovanni Costa coniugi dall'altra, e nessun impedimento scoperto io Sacerdote Giorgio Biondo con licenza ... dell'Arciprete dell'università (= paese) di Catalabiano interrogai i predetti [Alfio e Vincenza] e li congiunsi in matrimonio per "verba de presenti" [see for example: http://74.125.77.132/search?q=cache:sQD ... clnk&gl=it ] secondo il Rito di Santa Madre Chiesa e del Sacro Concilio Tridentino ... davanti ai testimoni Gaetano Musumeci e Alfio Cortesa.

L.
Lili2
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lili2 »

Hi Lucap, Thanks that's fantastic! I really appreciate your help with this. Sorry the photo is the best I could do. The ink bleeding really confuses matters.
I could read only the names of Alfio Mudo`(from othe records), Vincenza Currenti and Filippo. I can only surmise the brides mother's name might be Rosaria? or Rosalia? Figuring out her surname is a big help.
Regards, Liliana
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

Although it's a very odd "R" the brides mother's name could be Rosaria Costa, but it's impossible (for me) to read Mudo for wath concerns Alfio's surname: I read Nodo or, forcing it, Modo.
L.
Lili2
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lili2 »

I understand what you mean re the name Mudo` I only know it to be this name because of other records ie his death record and his daughter's marriage record...plus the marriage index etc. They seem to swap between Modo` and Mudo`.

I was just studying the entry above again and Ive noticed something odd. It says Antonia Rinella was the widow of Giovanni Costa. How strange?? So I looked up the index that I have and noted that in fact Giovanni did marry a Antonia Rinella in 1788. Then I found Giovanni Costa's death record listed in the Death index for 1811.
Is it possible that a mistake was made when the priest wrote the next entry and just copied it from above? Because there is no record of Giovanni Costa marrying anyone else.

This entry puzzles me alot...not only is it hard to read but there seem to be mistakes in the names that are written in it for example in all the other records Ive read about Alfio they record that Alfio married Vincenza Gullo not Vincenza Currenti??? He may have married twice I guess... but I've found no evidence of this. Maybe the priest was having a very bad day.
Liliana
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

Lili2 wrote:... Maybe the priest was having a very bad day.
Liliana
Not impossible :wink:
You can try to check the previous marriage record for Vincenza Currenti (or Gullo) and see wath's the name of her first husband: maybe it can help you to solve the puzzle.

L.
Lili2
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lili2 »

Thanks Lucap I'll keep looking for Vincenza Currenti and Vincenza Gullo. So far I havnt found Vincenza Gullo in the Fiumefreddo records.....only as being the wife of Alfio Mudo` and the mother of Sebastiana Mudo`.
Kind Regards, Liliana
My family are from Sicily: Fiumefreddo, Ficarra, Giampilieri, Cumia, Messina and Carmela Zagami,Argentina.