Three Latin and handwriting issues

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Three Latin and handwriting issues

Post by jwazevedo »

I was feeling pretty good about learning to decipher Latin records until I got to these three. The handwriting has me standing on my head and looking in a mirror trying to figure out what's going on. Any help would be appreciated.

http://img155.imageshack.us/i/giovanniponciasnip.jpg/

This first one is a clip from the baptism record of Pietro Poncia. It's from the year 1793, and the date seems to be the 2nd. But I can't figure out the month. And then the priest identifies himself and says that he baptized an infant born on the 30th but of what month?

http://img810.imageshack.us/i/adamrobbasnip.jpg/

This second one is part of the baptism record for Adamo Robba, born in 1787. Again, the day makes sense - 22nd - but the month is a mystery. He was born "heri" (yesterday). The next mystery is the father of the mother (Magdalena Mazzoni). It's clearly an abbreviation, and it looks like "To.", which makes no sense. The same name is repeated in the last line, this time as the father of the godfather Aloysius(?).

http://img101.imageshack.us/i/joannisfathersnip.jpg/

Finally there's this name I can't decipher: the father of Joannis Poncia. Elsewhere in my records, the father is listed as Pietro, but this doesn't look anything close to Pietro. Any ideas?

If someone with more experience with Latin could help with these mysteries, I'd appreciate it.

Best,
Jerry
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Three Latin and handwriting issues

Post by maestra36 »

The first document-dated Aug 2, 1793. Birth on July 30th.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Third section-
The first letter is an X-I think the name is some form of the Latin name for Christopher

I don't see the name in the exact form as written in the document. Xtopher Christopher
Xtopherus
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Xpofer Christopher to write "Christ" as "X" (a cross)
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

section 2-
I think the month is Aug. Also the abbreviation I think is for the name Ioannes or Joannes-John-anyway this is my best effort but I am not 100% on this section of the document.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

You need to find a source which shows the Latin first names abbreviated in script. I can't find one.
jwazevedo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jwazevedo »

Thanks for your thoughts on these. I guess there will always be a bit of uncertainty in dealing with these old records.
Best,
Jerry