translation

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
june9

translation

Post by june9 »

I have a birth act from Comune delle Curti, provincia Terra di Lavoro 1816 The mother of the baby goes herself to the town hall to make the presentation. She says that her husband the father of the baby "sta a servire nella linea" Was he in the military? Was there a draft there in those days. What does this mean? Thank you.
Sirena
Elite
Elite

Re: translation

Post by Sirena »

Hi
I would say that he was in the military....but in 1816 Italy was not a unified country yet.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I believe there was a mandatory military draft in Italy during the Napoleanic era-between 1802-1814. This, however, would only have affected those areas of Italy under Napoleon's jurisdiction at the time. Then there was no mandatory draft again until around 1865, during the unification process of Italy.

Possibly someone else on this forum has more detailed historical info to share with you concerning mandatory military conscription in Italy.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Curti was part the KINGDOM OF THE TWO SICILIES (under Bourbon control) after Napoleon in 1815. No doubt military conscription was instuituted or re-instituted since during this period the famous "RISORGIMENTO" occurred against local rulers. The rebels sought political unity for Italy which were eventually crushed in 1831. =Peter=
~Peter~