Town Name in Latin may be Taormina?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Lili2
Rookie
Rookie

Town Name in Latin may be Taormina?

Post by Lili2 »

Im wondering about the town name in this death record dated 1905. It looks like it could be Taormina in Latin? Im not sure what the "Peleris" means. Does anyone have suggestions about what town this might be?

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg49 ... iD1905.jpg

Just a bit of background info. This lady's husband was born in Giampilieri in Sicily and they both died in Fiumefreddo di Sicilia.
Thanks in advance for your interest.
Regards, Lili
My family are from Sicily: Fiumefreddo, Ficarra, Giampilieri, Cumia, Messina and Carmela Zagami,Argentina.
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Town Name in Latin may be Taormina?

Post by maestra36 »

The town of Taormina does not appear in this record. As far as I can tell, there is no town name mentioned in this record. I think that what you are looking at is the word before Peleris (sp?) which is the name Ioannis. I am understanding that Maria was born Ioannis. Peleris is possibly a surname she was born with (I can't decipher the word after Peleris). She died at the age of 54 and was buried on this day (the date on the record) in the cemetery. I can read the month on the record below hers which is Nov 6th, but I can only see the 5 for the 5th on her record but cannot make out the month.
Lili2
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lili2 »

Thanks Maestra, I thought the word before Peleris started with a "T". So you think this might be a name? The word in brackets I thought was "Messana" which I thought might be the Latin version of Messina??? as I thought it was a town name within Provincia di Messina. But I was just guessing.

The name of my great great grandmother was Maria Aloisi. Her parents were Nicola and Lucia Amato. Her husband was Santo Zagami. I think the date is 5 November or October??? 1905.

Thanks for your input its much appreciated. Lili
My family are from Sicily: Fiumefreddo, Ficarra, Giampilieri, Cumia, Messina and Carmela Zagami,Argentina.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I know that in Roman times, Messina was Messana. I see the word that looks like Messana now that you mentioned it. Here is a link with a list all town names in Messina Province. I don't see anything close to what appears before the word Messana. I also checked a list of frazioni and don't see anything that would match.

http://www.italyworldclub.com/sicilia/messina/

http://www.italyworldclub.com/italian_frazioni/

As to the month on the record, if you have the page with the record above it, the records may be order according to date, so you may be able to confirm the month by looking at the record above this one.

Also, it would be good if Luca could look at this record. He is really good with Latin records. My Latin is very rusty. I do see the parents' names in the record as well. The record also does state that she was married with Santo Zagami. Sorry I omitted that information when I looked at the record late last night.
Lili2
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lili2 »

I wonder if the town name is the Latin version of Giampilieri broken up into two words? The last part of Giampilieri is similar to Peleris. But the first part doesn't fit.
Thanks for the links I'll have a good look this weekend.
Thanks again, Lili
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Post by johnnyonthespot »

In the very last message in this thread - http://italiangenealogy.com/Forums/viewtopic/t=16472/ - you can find a downloadable Excel spreadsheet which I created with data on over 37,000 Italian frazioni and comuni. If you know anything about using Excel, you will quickly be able to search out any name based on just a few letters, no matter where they appear in the word.

For example, you can easily find all the frazioni with names ending in "chiano" or all the comuni with the letters "oli" in the middle of the name.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
Lili2
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lili2 »

Ok Thanks I'll try that this weekend. But for now I must get some sleep. Its very late here and I must work in the morning. Thanks again for everyone's help and suggestions.
Lili
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

The town is definitely Giampilieri.
If you have a fb account you can visit this page: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=36287429984 and you can verify that the name of the town comes from the name of a land owner living in the XV century, Giovanni Pilero (and Giovanni in latin is Ioannes - Ioannis). At a first look I did think that it was Maria's father's name, but the parent's names come a bit later and they are Nicola and Lucia.
L.
maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

Thanks, Luca. I knew you were the one person who could help with this document.

Peg
Lucap
Master
Master

Post by Lucap »

Grazie a te.
Lili2
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Lili2 »

Thanks so much! That makes sense now. This has been a mystery for me for a while now so its great to have it worked out. I'll also have a look at the FB page.
Kind Regards, Liliana