Names do not agree between "official" documents fr

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Names do not agree between "official" documents fr

Post by johnnyonthespot »

Believe me when I say that this is a road I do not wish to travel; to do so means that nothing is certain and everything must be questioned.

Please compare the nascita and matrimonio estratti below with the copia integrale and give me a logical explanation for the fact that the names of the groom's parents do not agree.

PS: The name of the groom's mother on the atto di matrimonio is, I believe, Maddalena Brajotta - such a name did exist in Malvito at the time in question.

PPS: I do not yet have the groom's atto di nascita (other than the estratto above). I do have the FHL film on order ...
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: Names do not agree between "official" document

Could it be possible the groom's parents on the atto di matrimonio are step-parents?
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

I would say that the Francesco Maria di Iacovo in the 1882 Marriage act and the Francesco Iacovo in the 1854 are two different persons. Not only the parents are different but also the birth date, and the surname. Francesco Iacovo would have been 28 years old in 1882, while Francesco Maria di Iacovo was aged 24.
The only explanation is that the marriage annotation (and possibly also the death annotation) made on Francesco Ioacovo's act was a mistake and tha annotation should have been attached to Francesco Maria di Iacovo born in 1858...
The only way to check this out is to look at the groom's birth act inserted to the "Allegati di Matrimonio".

BTW I have a birth certificate released in 1977 stating that my son was born in 1971, and, believe me, my son was born one year later! :P
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Livio, I think you are correct.

It appears to me that the estratto for Francesco Iacovo (1854) is not correct and that the atto di matrimonio for Francesco Maria Di Iacovo/Carolina Cipolla is correct.

I have an index entry for Francesco Maria Di Iacovo, born 1 April 1859, father Michele, mother Maddalena Brjotta. This data agrees with the atto di matrimonio and also with my grandfather's atti di nascita which states that his father was Francesco Iacovo, age 26 on 1 January 1886 (Francesco would be my great-grandfather). As you say, I will have to wait until I can see the additional atti and pubblicazioni before I can be certain; FHL films are already on order.

For the moment, it seems that the notations regarding Francesco 1859 were added to the Francesco 1854 atto in error. Would there be any value in pointing this out to the Malvito stato civile official?
Carmine