Marriage Record needs translation

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Marriage Record needs translation

Post by DebiHarbuck »

Can someone translate #2 for me?

My g-grandmother traveled from Saponara di Grumento to NYC with this couple; later that year, this woman was a witness at my great-grandparents wedding in Manhattan. I don't know if they were relatives or just friends...but it was fun to find this. :)

http://postimage.org/image/ny7hjhz8/
Roccanova/Magistra/Rubertone/Paduano of Craco, Matera, Basilicata AND Latorraca/Cassino/Petrocelli/Peluso of Saponara di Grumento (now Grumento Nova) & Moliterno, Potenza, Basilicata
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Marriage Record needs translation

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Debi :-)

Marriage of Nicola Latronico, 34, peasant farmer, son of Francesco Paolo and Maria Giuseppa Giannone
TO
Maria Giuseppa Argenzio, 23, peasant farmer, daughter of deceased Giambattista, and of deceased Rafaella Pennella (sp?)
On 13 February 1898 at 11:50 Am at the town Hall of Saponara di Grumento.

T.
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

Thanks, Tessa!!

Is this an unusual circumstance? Nicola Latronica and Maria Argenzio were married in New York City in 1895. Then, apparently, married again in Saponara di Grumento in 1898. (They went back and forth several times.)
Roccanova/Magistra/Rubertone/Paduano of Craco, Matera, Basilicata AND Latorraca/Cassino/Petrocelli/Peluso of Saponara di Grumento (now Grumento Nova) & Moliterno, Potenza, Basilicata
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Probably wanted to have a celebration for the family back home...and to be married in the church they were baptized... :-) But it would seem they would have done it in reverse...

I think it's rather sweet, and romantic!

T.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

The marriage act refers to a civil marriage, it is very likely that at that time the marriage celebrated in the US was not considered valid by the Italian law.

An important point is buried at the end of the document...

The married couple, in the presence of the same witnesses, declared that from their natural union was born a baby girl, named Raffaella Latronico, and reported to this registry office on Dec 27 1897, they also declared that with this act they recognized the baby to be their legitimate child.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

An important point is buried at the end of the document...
You are so correct, Livio! :D

I'm sorry I missed that... :oops:

T.
DebiHarbuck
Elite
Elite

Post by DebiHarbuck »

Ah...thank you, Livio!! That baby girl, Raffaella, was also on board the ship with my g-grandmother when they left Saponara di Grumento in 1899. :)