Discussion about the Italian language coming back to you

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
PepinoMattioli
Rookie
Rookie

Discussion about the Italian language coming back to you

Post by PepinoMattioli »

Mia nonna passed away a few years ago, with mio nonni recently passing My rebirth in pride and everything about being italian has become even stronger. When I was a kid, I hardly ever spoke english I only spoke italian with my grandparents. As I grew older I didnt speak italian with anyone. With noone to talk to I lost alot of it.

Now Im 27 and The past few years Ive gotten into alot of old traditional italian music. Alot of songs I always knew the words, but I guess I never thought some of them through to translate them. Recently Im listening to songs or italian news and catching on really quickly. As well as finding some documents while cleaning my grandaprents belongs and finding no or little trouble in understanding them. My real problem is spelling and writing. Also some pronunciation when I read, I know the words and what they mean to speak, but looking at them sometimes throws me off.

I like to think of this as my grandparents helping me out and making my brain remember. I was just wondering if this has ever happened to anyone. If anyones ever stoped speaking italian for 15-20 years, and things started coming back to them. I find it very strange and interesting.

grazie
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Discussion about the Italian language coming back to you

Post by ptimber »

I have found that I learned italian well, knew the grammar and was able to speak fluently and when I did not use the language I got rusty over the 50 years and after travelling to Italy and after an hour of conversation it all came rushing back as it were yesterday. The brain does retain what you learn. Peter