Translation

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
wisemonkey
Rookie
Rookie

Translation

Post by wisemonkey »

Hi can someone please help with the translation of a couple of passport documents? It is for my uncle. I am really interested in the knowing the eye color. There is little known of him and no known photos. Some of his brothers had cornflower blue eyes. He was a bit of a vagabond.

I tried sending them as attachments but it did not work. If there is an email address I could send them to it would be most appreciated.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Translation

Post by Tessa78 »

Try posting them using www.imageshack.com

After you upload your image, copy and paste the "direct link" code into this forum... :-)

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

First, let me tell you that his eyes (occhi) and his hair (capelli) were brown (castani)
It is also noted that he has a scar (cicatrice) on the right side of his lip.

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

He was 42 years old and 164 cm tall (or 1.64 meters tall)

He had a strong forehead (fronte - stretta), a greek nose, medium mouth, and a pink (rosa), but probably red, beard.

His coloring was rosy (complexion), and he had a regular build.

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

He was born in Scala on 20 January 1879 to Michele and to Maria (not sure of last name...
He resides in Omaha, Nebraska in USA.
and he is a laborer...

T.
wisemonkey
Rookie
Rookie

Post by wisemonkey »

Thank you so much! Can you please tell me what the reference is to Denver, Colorado?
wisemonkey
Rookie
Rookie

Post by wisemonkey »

Thank you so much! Can you please tell me what the reference is to Denver, Colorado?
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hard to decipher, but it looks like the passport is valid for making this trip to settle something in Denver, Colorado...

The date is probably the date the passport was issued since he is 42 and born in 1879...

BTW - town of birth is Scala Coeli, Cosenza Province, Region of Calabria.

T.
wisemonkey
Rookie
Rookie

Post by wisemonkey »

Thank you again! I really appreciate your help!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

My pleasure! :-)

T.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

wisemonkey wrote:Thank you so much! Can you please tell me what the reference is to Denver, Colorado?
The passport was issued on Sept 26, 1921 by the Italian Consulate in Denver Colorado ad is valid for only one trip to Italy, Scala Celi.
arturo.c
Veteran
Veteran

Post by arturo.c »

Tessa78 wrote:He was born in Scala on 20 January 1879 to Michele and to Maria (not sure of last name...)
His mother's last name is Judicena (or Iudicena).
wisemonkey
Rookie
Rookie

Post by wisemonkey »

His mother's maiden name was Iudicessa so you are very close.

He did return to Italy. It was said that he was deported although I have been unable to locate any information to confirm that as a fact. A one way passport would lead me to believe that was perhaps the case.

I have been able to confirm that he went to Argentina in 1924 from Italy where he worked in a cheese factory and was planning on returning to the US. I have a letter to his son from 1930 requesting documents for a return to the US and a legal affidavit from his son taking responsibility for his father. He was never heard from again. Family lore was the the gangsters caught up with him in Argentina.

Another story was that he was on the run from gangsters because he took off with someone's girlfriend and hid out in one of his brother's barns in Montana.

In researching our family history, I have to say that he stands out as a very colorful and interesting fellow with a wild spirit who never found a niche ,not to be maligned but understood. Unfortunately, there is no one living who knew him. My goal is to really on facts and not rumor or innuendo. I am having an incredibly difficult time finding records for Argentina so if anyone can give me some tips it would be most appreciated.

So that is the backstory. Sorry to ramble on but he was my grandpa's brother and deserves more than a footnote in our family history.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Some information about Argentina passenger records on this thread...

http://italiangenealogy.com/Forums/view ... ation.html

T.