Luigi's mother's surname

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
oilman19
Master
Master

Luigi's mother's surname

Post by oilman19 »

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/6507 ... r1888w.jpg

Can someone please help me figure out the surname for Luigi's mother.

Thank you
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
maestra36
Master
Master

Re: Luigi's mother's surname

Post by maestra36 »

Jim
Using a hand held magnifying glass, I can see that she was deceased Maria Gaetana, but I can't make out her surname. When I try to magnify the record otherwise, it is really out of focus and illegible.

I have to leave in a few minutes for my genealogy club meeting and presentation. If no one has deciphered the name by later this evening, I'll try to figure it out then.

Peg
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

I repaired the image. Sorry for the bad one.
Jim

Researching surnames Ianniello, Tamburrino, Mattora/Martora/Mattori & Scialla in Santa Maria Capua Vetere, Caserta, Campania.
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

I found a birth act for one of her children. It looks like Cortese.

Thank you
Jim

maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I'm glad you found that other record, Jim, as I would never have deciphered that surname. The supposed s in Cortese doesn't look like that letter to me, even when I compare it to other words in the document which have that letter in them.

Peg
oilman19
Master
Master

Post by oilman19 »

I did make the same comparisons. Naturally, I was surprised when I saw the name on the birth act.

I hope your presentation went well.

Thanks again
Jim

maestra36
Master
Master

Post by maestra36 »

I'm glad you found that birth act.

The presentation went extremely well. I talked for about 1 hour and 45 minutes. At least no one in this club will ever again say that they never heard of the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA).

Peg