Looking for help

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
txnygirl

Looking for help

Post by txnygirl »

I am fairly new to the geneology research idea. I do have some basic information from the ellis island website, but not much more. I have placed/looked for my surname across many sites but haven't had much luck yet. Where do I go next? 8O
ptimber
Master
Master

Re: Looking for help

Post by ptimber »

You should purchase the book ITALIAN GENBEALOGICAL RECORDS by Traffor R. Cole which is an easy read and will start you off with pleasant results in short order and with a minimumof frustration. The cardinal rule in genealogy is to work backwards. We can assit you piecemeal as you go along because to tell you everything would only confuse the issue and for $30.,00 its well worth the book for someone starting out. Peter
txnygirl

Post by txnygirl »

Thanks! I will try that... I also found a name of a person in Calabria (that is where my grandfather is from) that has the same last name. I am in the process of writing a letter to them to see if I can get a response. I do know that I have relatives in Canada as well, but the information is all sketchy.
Paula
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

If you give me the last name perhaps I can assist you but in Italy all records, documents and history are in the town of origin. For Canada there is another set of websites to find relatives. They sometimes can be disclosed in Canada thru their telephopne directory. Try www.infobel.com. Peter
txnygirl

Post by txnygirl »

Actually, I spoke with my dad tonight and got some more information from him. He is a bit hesitant to speak about our ancestry. I think he is afraid we might find out something that will taint my grandparents memory. I did find out that my grandfather came over many times, but I did find one entry for 1918 or so for Domenico Morganti. It shows him coming from Colle Tronto. I know he was born in February and he had one sister.

My grandmother's maiden name was Copola(unsure of the spelling...) and she had a brother & sister. She was the oldest of the three and the others have passed on. I did get to speak with one of the cousins in North Bay, Ontario Canada which was pretty neat. He said that the family is mostly from Compo Calabro. There is one other living relative in Italy (this cousin's sister). I wasn't able to get much more than that and I am not sure where to go next.

I also found a Morganti in the Reggio Calabria region today. I am not sure how to formulate a letter to them to ask for more information though. Can you help me on the next step?

Thanks.
Paula :D
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Go to www.freetranslation.com and compose a letter in your own words. It seems that you know more than you profess and I would suggest that you stop piecemealing your research with the knowledge gained from the book I suggested. For someone who knew very little about tnaything three postings ago you seem pretty adroit on writing letters to Italy. Peter
txnygirl

Post by txnygirl »

:( You are hurting my feelings, Peter. I have these pieces of information here and there, but was unsure how to go about putting it all together. I have been reading the forums and trying to learn what to that way. Is that not correct? I am asking you what the next step is....
Paula
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

There are enough forums out there that will teach you about genealogy so either buy the book or go to the internet and look up how to conduct genealogy in Italy...Try the internet with that title and you willbe surprised at how much you will come to know aboutg researching your own family. Peter
txnygirl

Post by txnygirl »

Thank you for your time and advise. Sorry to have wasted it.
Paula
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

I gave you the next step which was www.freetranslation.com and you did not even acknowledge that. You use that website to compose your letter to your relative in Italy. You are so busy bemoaning the fact that nobody is spoon feeding you each step of the way that you overlooked the website I gave you. Now who is hurtful you or me?? Peter
txnygirl

Post by txnygirl »

Obviously you and I have gotten off on the wrong foot. I am not sure how that came about, but I am sorry to see that happen. I appreciate your time and help as I said before. I am not looking for any "spoon feeding", I think I have proven that by researching your very site and following your information that you have given others. Thank you for your time.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

anytime! Just get back when you know the sequence of what your research objectives are so that you may be guided accodingly. This means that you have not been able to solve the problem yourself and need assistance despite your efforts to locate the information.

May I suggest you read the home page of this website just to get you on the right track and know whjat is available. Peter
italylives4everinmyheart

Post by italylives4everinmyheart »

txnygirl wrote:Actually, I spoke with my dad tonight and got some more information from him. He is a bit hesitant to speak about our ancestry. I think he is afraid we might find out something that will taint my grandparents memory. I did find out that my grandfather came over many times, but I did find one entry for 1918 or so for Domenico Morganti. It shows him coming from Colle Tronto. I know he was born in February and he had one sister. Thanks.Paula :D
Hi,

I read your post and I wanted to give a few tips.

Do you know what year Domenico was born? There is a Domenico coming into the USA in 1913 from the town you mentioned. However, I don't know the year of birth in order to verify it.

Do you have any Census for Domenico? The Census will list information such as when he came into the USA, when he was naturalized, how old he was when he married, etc.

Do you have any naturalization papers for him?

I also believe the name of the town you are looking for is Colli del Tronto, Ascoli Piceno, Marche, Italy. This is the only one I found similar to the one you are seeking. However, don't quote me on this.

What other records do you have for Domenico? Every little bit of information helps.

Frankie
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

The town is Colli Del Tronto, Postalke 63030, Provincia di Asacoli Piceno, Marche region. There is no microfilm of the civil records for the town so you have to write to the Ufficio di Stato Civile for documents Birth,marriage etc His year of birth is 1885 and if you go to www.circolocalabrese.org you can find the form letter you beed to send in your request. Peter