translation of a civil batism record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
EdDiDo

translation of a civil batism record

Post by EdDiDo »

At the bottom of an Atto di Nascita, in which the civil offical sent a birth notice to the parish priest, is a statment by the priest, and another by the offical. I am having a problem with their translation. I hope someone can help. the statments read as follows;

Al Signor Parroco Di Scontrone
Il Parroco di Scontrone
Certifica che L' amministrazione
del S. Battesimo al Neonato
e' seguita oggi li 28 gennaio, 1864

Sottoscritto

L' ufiziale dello Stato civile
Luigi Veberto
Il presente certificato si e' ritirato
dal sottoscritto Ufiziale dello
Stato Civile ed alligato al
Vol. de' documenti oggi il 21 detta mese
Sottoscritto

thanks

eddido
arturo.c
Veteran
Veteran

Re: translation of a civil batism record

Post by arturo.c »

There is no such thing as a "civil baptism".

Baptism is a sacrament administered in churches, while civil administrations keep record of births.

From 1861 until 1923 relations between the Kingdom of Italy and the Catholic Church became increasingly strained due to the intent of the Savoy King to make Rome the capital city of Italy and ending the Papal rule over it.

Therefore, while until 1870 baptisms were annotated in birth registries upon receipt of the certificate sent to the municipal authority by the parish priest, after the capture of Rome Pope Pius IX ordered the faithful to stop any cooperation with the "unlawful occupiers of the centre of Christianity".

This led to the many cases in which marriages and births of children were recorded in municipal registries much later than the actual wedding and birth dates, because the priests stopped notifying the Comunes, and couples only went to register their marriages and their babies' births when they needed some paperwork done.
cedrone
Master
Master

Post by cedrone »

To arturo.c

The poster is referring to year 1864, before the beginning of the registers of tthe Italian stato civile in 1866.
Nothing to do with the relations of the Kingdom of Italy with the Catholic church.
Simply for some years until 1866, the official of stato civile continued to use the registers and rules of the Regno delle Due Sicilie, where the parish informed the stato civile of the baptism that was annotated also on the civil register.
bbivona
Master
Master

Post by bbivona »

From the text it looks like the church provided certification that the baptism took place. It looks like the comune withdrew the certification, but from the context I don't know if it means the birth or the baptism. Do you have a link to the document?
Researching Gibellina, Sicily surnames Bivona, Bonafede, Zummo, Ponzio, Bevinetto, Beninati, Fontana, Cipolla, Bruno, Manfrè, Lanfranca, and Navarra
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

bbivona wrote: 01 Jun 2021, 00:20 From the text it looks like the church provided certification that the baptism took place. It looks like the comune withdrew the certification, but from the context I don't know if it means the birth or the baptism. Do you have a link to the document?
I agree that it would be better to see the document, however I believe that the sentence:
"Il presente certificato si e' ritirato
dal sottoscritto Ufiziale dello
Stato Civile ed alligato al
Vol. de' documenti oggi il 21 detta mese"
is translated to:
"This certificate has been picked up
by the undersigned Official of
Civil status and enclosed
in the book register of documents today, on the 21st said month"