Totally motivated now...

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
AmyT
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Totally motivated now...

Post by AmyT »

Thanks Peter :P

And technically La-la land is where I grew up not where I reside. La la land being Los Angeles and surrounding counties like my home planet (may as well be another planet) Orange County.

I actually am considering a cruise of the mediterranian leaving from Italy, and I am super paranoid about travel and being taken for a ride so to speak. So besides the ever increasing quest for learning, I'd like to be able to tell my well traveled friends I did it without being led astray.
Image 'If you never open doors to let anyone in, no one can get in, but neither can you get out.'
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

DeliBoy, very well said!
mfjp
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Mfjp do you really understand what he said or is this peer review time. Peter
akeeshecheeza

Post by akeeshecheeza »

Deli's message was good.
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Peter, with your permission, can I send you a private message?
:D mfjp
wldspirit
Staff
Staff

Post by wldspirit »

amy,
here is a website that has the language broken down into subjects,
verb, adjective,nouns, ect..ect..

www.locuta.com/classroom.html

anyways, it's a start.
AmyT
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AmyT »

Wldspirit,

I always liked being head of the class! ;)

My fear of something like this is pronounciation, and doesn't it take 10 times to unlearn something you've learned once? I'm really grateful for the site, I just probably won't use it until I've got a teacher to guide me through everything. I've bookmarked it in any case, and I appreciate it!

You'd think because I was an English major I'd be gramatically correct more often :P

Amy
Image 'If you never open doors to let anyone in, no one can get in, but neither can you get out.'
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Dear Amy you probably would be a fast learner. Why not think of a month in Italy and going to school in some rural area where little english is spoken?? Peter
AmyT
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AmyT »

Peter,

While that is definitely ideal, its totally impossible at this time. Never fear though, I just registered online for "Italian for Beginners", 110 bucks later, not so bad, I'll be starting class on Jan. 4th.. wish me luck :)

Amy
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

memorize,memorize memorize Peter
MindyP

Post by MindyP »

Hi everyone!

I agree that memorizing is important, but so is practicing practicing practicing! I like to pop a CD of Italian music while I'm in the car and sing along. Or I watch Disney movies with my 4 yo daughter in Italian (we have a multi-region DVD player) and repeat the lines with her - it's so cute to listen to her try to sing the Disney songs in Italian! Anyway - learning Italian, or any language, is a journey, not a destination (cliche, but true!).

--Mindy
Impariamo L'Italiano :: Let's Learn Italian
A free forum for lovers of Italian language, art and culture
http://www.impariamo.com/forum
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Dear Mindy....MA SHU!! but the whole idea of learning a language is to be able to read newspapers, if not novels and web pages in Italian. For instance no one has mentioned one of the most useful mediums for learning Italian which is subvscribing for $40.00 a year to the Italo Americano italian newspaper for San francisco and southern california (MAY are you listening) and it is in Italian and english. reading it through each week will be diffificult in the beginning but as time goes on you become proficient. Peter
AmyT
Veteran
Veteran

Post by AmyT »

Peter... MAY may not have been listening.. but I was reading.. :)

*sigh* You must have a fabulous career to talk about venturing off to Italy for a month... then talk about paying for subscriptions.. Answer your PM.

Since I am in the Bay Area, I'm pretty sure I can pick up this easily.

Thank you Mindy, I'm all about the music thing which launch.yahoo had quite a few Italian artists that I seemed to enjoy listening to. Having said that.. substance means a lot, so I'm not buying until I can understand.. :)

Thanks for the newspaper idea Peter.
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

As a devotee of Joseph Campbell, author of Man of a Thousand Faces, I followed my bliss and thereby earned a good life body and soul. In addition the $40.00 a year for newspaper subscription is not much for a weekly newspaper mailed to you is it?? Peter
ptimber
Master
Master

Post by ptimber »

Akeeshecheeza everyone has a photographic memory,some just don't have film as it were. By the way what does Akeeshecheeza which I presume is a dialect word mean since I speak two dialects one with grammar and one without. peter