Help Translating Marriage Certificate

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
leo8296

Help Translating Marriage Certificate

Post by leo8296 »

http://search.ancestry.com/ShareHandler ... %2Fbmvmw4t

If anyone doesn't mind translating or even writing what it says in Italian. I can't read cursive good. Numero 69.

Grazie mille. :D

Austin
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Help Translating Marriage Certificate

Post by erudita74 »

leo8296 wrote:http://search.ancestry.com/ShareHandler ... %2Fbmvmw4t

If anyone doesn't mind translating or even writing what it says in Italian. I can't read cursive good. Numero 69.

Grazie mille. :D

Austin
Austin
I have a concern that the parents of the Giuseppe in this marriage record are different from the parents in the birth record that you found for Giuseppe in Joloppo (the birth record that I previously translated for you. Also in this marriage record, this Giuseppe is said to have been born in Favara and not in Joloppo).

This marriage record is dated April 29, 1909 at 10:16 in Favara. The groom Giuseppe Dulcetta was single, age 25, and a shoemaker born and living in Favara. He was the son of deceased Angelo Dulcetta, a resident in Favara when he was alive, and Rosa Balistreri, a resident in Favara.

The bride was Margherita Piscopo, single, age 17, born in Favara of deceased Carmelo (Piscopo), resident in Favara when he was alive, and Diega Aroncio (sp?).

Witnesses were Giuseppe Russello, son of Antonio, age 40, a mason, and Luigi Schifano, son of Michele, age 24, a blacksmith.

Documents presented: publications on 2 Sundays, 18th and 25th of April. Also the consent of the mother of the bride which resulted in the request for the publications.

The document was singed by the groom, and the two witnesses, as well as by the town official. The bride was illiterate and did not sign.

Erudita
leo8296

Post by leo8296 »

Thanks again Erudita.

I can't seem to find my GGF's (Giuseppe Dulcetta) birth certificate in Favara.
I'm confused on whether he was really born there or not. On all the documents I've found in the U.S. It says he was born either 1884 or 1886. However I haven't found his birth certificate.

If you don't mind seeing if you can find anything on him, that would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you for all your help

Austin
leo8296

Post by leo8296 »

Do you think this is the Giuseppe on the Marriage Certificate?
Number 241
It says he has his mother's last name but I see the Margherita Piscopo to the side but I don't know what it says.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1224678065
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

leo8296 wrote:Do you think this is the Giuseppe on the Marriage Certificate?
Number 241
It says he has his mother's last name but I see the Margherita Piscopo to the side but I don't know what it says.

The record you found is the birth record for your Giuseppe Dulcetta. Great work on your part, as I stayed up late, went through indices, and had no luck finding it. It is dated April 13, 1884 at 9:40 a.m. The informant was Rosa Balistreri, the daughter of Salvatore Balistreri. She was age 31 and a peasant/farmer living in this town. She reported that, on the 11th, in the house at #7 via Lombardi, from her union with a man who did not want to be named, a male infant was born to her, whom she was presenting, and to whom was being given the name Giuseppe.

The note in the margin says that, on July 25, 1891, he was recognized as the legitimate son of Angelo Dulcetta and Rosa Balistreri. The reason for this date is because this is the date that Angelo and Rosa married, but they married in the town of Palma di Montechiaro. A handwritten copy of their marriage record appears with the Favara records image 2048 of 2988 (1891 marriages). The record is dated Aug 18, 1891 because that is the date it was sent to the official in Favara saying that the marriage had taken place in Palma on July 25, 1891. Signor Angelo Dulcetta was age 45 and single. He was a property owner born in Favara of Signor Vincenzo Dulcetta, a resident in Favara, and Signora Giuseppa Fanara. Rosa Balistreri, was age 43, single, a housewife, born and resident in Favara. She was the daughter of deceased Salvatore Balistreri and deceased Vita Fanara. The couple also exposed that four children had been born to them from their natural union. The first born of unknown parents was on Nov 5, 1875. He was named Giuseppe Balistreri. The others were born of an unknown father and Rosa Balistreri (Oct 16, 1881, called Vincenzo; April 16, 1884 called Giuseppe; the 4th April 22, 1886 called Carmela. With the present marriage, all four of the children were legitimized.

Erudita
leo8296

Post by leo8296 »

erudita74 wrote:
leo8296 wrote:Do you think this is the Giuseppe on the Marriage Certificate?
Number 241

The record you found is the birth record for your Giuseppe Dulcetta. Great work on your part, as I stayed up late, went through indices, and had no luck finding it. It is dated April 13, 1884 at 9:40 a.m. The informant was Rosa Balistreri, the daughter of Salvatore Balistreri. She was age 31 and a peasant/farmer living in this town. She reported that, on the 11th, in the house at #7 via Lombardi, from her union with a man who did not want to be named, a male infant was born to her, whom she was presenting, and to whom was being given the name Giuseppe.

The note in the margin says that, on July 25, 1891, he was recognized as the legitimate son of Angelo Dulcetta and Rosa Balistreri. The reason for this date is because this is the date that Angelo and Rosa married, but they married in the town of Palma di Montechiaro. A handwritten copy of their marriage record appears with the Favara records image 2048 of 2988 (1891 marriages). The record is dated Aug 18, 1891 because that is the date it was sent to the official in Favara saying that the marriage had taken place in Palma on July 25, 1891. Signor Angelo Dulcetta was age 45 and single. He was a property owner born in Favara of Signor Vincenzo Dulcetta, a resident in Favara, and Signora Giuseppa Fanara. Rosa Balistreri, was age 43, single, a housewife, born and resident in Favara. She was the daughter of deceased Salvatore Balistreri and deceased Vita Fanara. The couple also exposed that four children had been born to them from their natural union. The first born of unknown parents was on Nov 5, 1875. He was named Giuseppe Balistreri. The others were born of an unknown father and Rosa Balistreri (Oct 16, 1881, called Vincenzo; April 16, 1884 called Giuseppe; the 4th April 22, 1886 called Carmela. With the present marriage, all four of the children were legitimized.

Erudita
Thanks for all your help. I have another problem though. My grandfather's mother was Santa Nicosia and not Margherita Piscopo. I'm trying to locate her birth certificate. On her ship manifest, it says she was married and going to meet her husband Antonio (can't read last name). However during the 1930 Census, it says my GGF was married to Annie Dulcetta, but on the 1940 census, it says that her name was Santa Dulcetta. I'm assuming that he got remarried to Santa after he came to America. Santa was the mother of my grandfather and all his siblings (first born 1918), only 5 years since coming to America. I don't know whether Margherita died and my GGF remarried, or if she changed her name. On Santa Dulcetta Social Security death report, it says she was born in 1884.
Hopefully soon I'll be going to get my GF birth certificate, and his and my GM marriage certificate.

This is her ship manifest. Number 15. If you can see if you can read the last name of her husband, that will be greatly appreciated.

http://www.ellisisland.org/EIFile/popup ... &line=0015

If anyone has any suggestions, help, or information regarding this, please comment.

All help is welcome.

Austin
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Here's the problem I have-names on census records are often incorrect.

On his WWI draft registration card, Margherita P. Dulcetta is listed as his wife.

On his WWII draft registration card-1942-Margherita is listed as his wife.

You can view both cards at familysearch.org

Joseph Dulcetta, "United States, World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918"
View image

Name: Joseph Dulcetta
Event Type: Draft Registration
Event Date: 1917-1918
Event Place: New Haven County no 8, Connecticut, United States
Birth Date: 09 Apr 1884
Birthplace: , ,
Nationality: Italy
Affiliate Publication Title: World War I Selective Service System Draft Registration Cards
Affiliate Publication Number: M1509
GS Film number: 1561997
Digital Folder Number: 005206220
Image Number: 03988

Giuseppe Dulcetta, "United States, World War II Draft Registration Cards, 1942"
View image

Name: Giuseppe Dulcetta
Event Type: Draft Registration
Event Date: 1942
Event Place: East Boston, Suffolk, Massachusetts
Birth Date: 09 Apr 1884
Affiliate Publication Title: World War II Draft Cards (4th Registration) for the State of Massachusetts
Affiliate Publication Number: M2090
Affiliate ARC Identifier:
GS Film number: 2372953
Digital Folder Number: 004157544
Image Number: 01137

***These cards are for the same person whose passenger list you originally found and whose Italian records we found.

So, in 1942, Margherita was still the wife of THIS Joseph Dulcetta.

Erudita
leo8296

Post by leo8296 »

I'm going to be getting my GM and GF marriage certificate and birth and death certificates within the next 2 weeks. I'm going to see who they list as my GF's mother. I will let you know when I find out (through private message). Again thanks for all your help.
Ci sentiamo più tardi. Arrivederci.
Austin
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

leo8296 wrote:I'm going to be getting my GM and GF marriage certificate and birth and death certificates within the next 2 weeks. I'm going to see who they list as my GF's mother. I will let you know when I find out (through private message). Again thanks for all your help.
Ci sentiamo più tardi. Arrivederci.
Austin

You're welcome, Austin. Yes, I think it best that you gather all of the info you can from the U.S. records so that we can confirm the correct ancestors.

Erudita