Transfer of Birth Acts Between Communes

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Fugie
Rookie
Rookie

Transfer of Birth Acts Between Communes

Post by Fugie »

Why would parents of children born in one commune take the birth acts of their children to another commune to register when they moved? Was this common?

I found where 6 or 7 children's birth acts appeared years after they were born in the commune of Montauro. It is hard to make out the documents but it looks like the children were born in Squillace. The parents were originally from Montauro.

Any answers would be greatly appreciated. Also, are there any such documents that have been translated into English?

Mary Lou
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Transfer of Birth Acts Between Communes

Post by adelfio »

Could be couple reason they could have moved and father could have recognized the child later and civil official would then enter that info in the registry
Can you post the birth act is there a sidenote written in the margin

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Fugie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Fugie »

Fulginiti, Dominica.jpg
Fulginiti, Dominica.jpg (1.17 MiB) Viewed 2451 times
Attached is the document. There are no notes in the margin
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Indeed, there are no sidenotes in the margin.

The record was entered in March of 1907. It is an exact copy of the birth record that was recorded in Squillace in December 1893 for the child. The transcription seems to be at the request of the father.
At the time of the birth, mother and father were married, so this does not appear to be a transcription for "recognition" purposes.
It may be, as marty :D stated, that the family moved and wanted the birth recorded in the town.

T.
Fugie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Fugie »

Does this document indicate why the family moved to Squillace and then back to Montauro? Was it common for couples who moved back to their home town to record the births from the town they were born in to the town where the parents lived? Why would the parents want to do that?

Also, am I correct to understand that this child was born in Squillace?

Thanks for all your help in answering this questions.

Mary Lou
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Fugie wrote:Does this document indicate why the family moved to Squillace and then back to Montauro? Was it common for couples who moved back to their home town to record the births from the town they were born in to the town where the parents lived? Why would the parents want to do that?

Also, am I correct to understand that this child was born in Squillace?

Thanks for all your help in answering this questions.

Mary Lou
The child was born in Squillace. There is no indication in the above record as to why the couple had the birth recorded elsewhere...

Here is the original birth record from Squillace - nothing unusual in it :-)

Bottom right - #99

T.
Fugie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Fugie »

Thank you, thank you for the original birth record from Squillace.

How did you obtain it? I'd like to know because I have her 6 siblings who were also born in Squillace; but, they are not the original birth records - they are records that were reported in Montauro years after the children were born.

You were so kind in sending me this original birth record from Squillace.

If you could send me the original birth records from Squillace on the other siblings, I would be most grateful.

Mary Lou
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Fugie wrote:Thank you, thank you for the original birth record from Squillace.

How did you obtain it? I'd like to know because I have her 6 siblings who were also born in Squillace; but, they are not the original birth records - they are records that were reported in Montauro years after the children were born.

You were so kind in sending me this original birth record from Squillace.

If you could send me the original birth records from Squillace on the other siblings, I would be most grateful.

Mary Lou
Hello Mary Lou :-)

You are most welcome!
I found the birth record at www.familysearch.org
The records are at this link for Catanzaro Province/Comune of Squillace...
https://familysearch.org/search/image/i ... %3D2043789

If you need help locating the records (they are in Italian) - we would be happy to help. Just let us know the names and approx. dates :-)

T.
Fugie
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Fugie »

I don't know how to thank you for telling me about this website. I have been travelling to a LDS Library to view microfilm when all this time the records were on line.

I am able to translate the Italian birth records into English so that is no problem.

One quick question - When I am in this website and I know the approximate date of birth, how do I get there? Do I need to just guess a page number or is there a simpler way to get to the exact year?

I am going to try to obtain these birth acts on my own using the website mentioned; however, if I run into a problem, I'll let you know.

You were so kind to steer me to this website - I never knew they were online.

Many thanks and God Bless.

Mary Lou
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Fugie wrote:I don't know how to thank you for telling me about this website. I have been travelling to a LDS Library to view microfilm when all this time the records were on line.

I am able to translate the Italian birth records into English so that is no problem.

One quick question - When I am in this website and I know the approximate date of birth, how do I get there? Do I need to just guess a page number or is there a simpler way to get to the exact year?

I am going to try to obtain these birth acts on my own using the website mentioned; however, if I run into a problem, I'll let you know.

You were so kind to steer me to this website - I never knew they were online.

Many thanks and God Bless.

Mary Lou
Just be aware that all records are not available online. There are many, many records that require you to visit your local LDS-FHC; and others that may require a written request to the comune...

If you know the approximate year, you can sometimes find an index at the beginning or the end of the book of acts for that year. Sometimes these indexes are in a separate link. You will get better at recognizing and navigating through this the more you use the records.

And... as you say - if you run into a problem - we're here to help! :D

Good luck!

T.