Please translate 1859 Diversi

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Debid76
Rookie
Rookie

Please translate 1859 Diversi

Post by Debid76 »

Hello,

After a few years searching, I FINALLY found the birth record of my gg-grandfather! :D
I would love to know what it says. It starts on the right and is regarding Antonio Balzante.

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

Thank you, in advance, for your time!

Deb
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Please translate 1859 Diversi

Post by Tessa78 »

Debid76 wrote:Hello,

After a few years searching, I FINALLY found the birth record of my gg-grandfather! :D
I would love to know what it says. It starts on the right and is regarding Antonio Balzante.

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

Thank you, in advance, for your time!

Deb
Glad to see you found the record, Deb! :-)

Dated 11 November 1859 at 4 PM in Triggiano
Presenting the child to the official was Marialuigi Lattanzio, daughter of Michele, age 40, a spinner residing in Triggiano. She declared that the child was born to Madia Balzante, "proietta" [this means the mother was a foundling], and to a "father unknown". It would appear that the declarant was concerned that the life of the newborn was in danger, so the child was baptized FIRST. He was given the name Antonio, natural born son of (Proietta) Madia Balzante.
Left column indicates that he was baptized in the parish that same day.

On the second page, bottom left, is the notation of Antonio's marriage on 29 October 1881, to Serafina DiFronzo, daughter of Michele.

T.
Debid76
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Debid76 »

Thank you so much! I wish there was an age for Madia. I don't think I can go anywhere from here.

Thanks again,

Deb
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Debid76 wrote:Thank you so much! I wish there was an age for Madia. I don't think I can go anywhere from here.

Thanks again,

Deb
Though I see no age for Madia, I THINK it states that the official recorded the birth in 2 registers... "...inscritto sopra i due registri..."

Possible that it appears in the births for 1859, most likely in supplement/Parte II?

T.
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

I think when they write in two registers, they mean two copies of the same register. Of these copies, one was then sent to the local Court, and the other was kept at the Commune itself or sent to the National Archives (Archivi di Stato)
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

PippoM wrote:I think when they write in two registers, they mean two copies of the same register. Of these copies, one was then sent to the local Court, and the other was kept at the Commune itself or sent to the National Archives (Archivi di Stato)
Hey, Pippo :D !

Thanks for the clarification!

T.
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

:wink:
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
Debid76
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Debid76 »

I have been searching for Madia's birth record. Do you think this could possibly be it??

http://antenati.san.beniculturali.it/v/ ... ewsIndex=0

The last name is off Balzano instead of Balzante. Her age would be 24 at Antonio's birth... really would have been helpful if they would have had her age on his birth record! :wink:
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Debid76 wrote:I have been searching for Madia's birth record. Do you think this could possibly be it??

http://antenati.san.beniculturali.it/v/ ... ewsIndex=0

The last name is off Balzano instead of Balzante. Her age would be 24 at Antonio's birth... really would have been helpful if they would have had her age on his birth record! :wink:
WOW... some find!

This COULD be the Madia Balzante you are looking for...
Let's take a look at the record :-)

The name given here is MADIA BALSANO, not Balzano. The name Balzano IS found in the town of Triggiano, and so it would NOT have been given to a proietta. [the surnames Balsano and Balzante do NOT exist in the town]

Record #149
Dated 19 August 1835 at noon at the town office in Triggiano
Appearing before the official is Carmela Fiore, daughter of Luigi, age 50, spinner, residing in Triggiano; to present a female child born to parents unknown, and discovered by the declarant at 5 last night behind the place where she lives at Strada Capusso(?). The child had no "signs" or "writing" with her [sometimes a mother would leave something with the child to help indentify the child for her if/when she was able to claim it at a later date).
After examining the condition of the child, the official gave her into the care of wetnurse Francesca Moccia to raise.
The child was given the name MADIA BALSANO.
Witnesses to the record:
Vito Castanza of deceased Michele, age 30, broker/agent; and D. Nicola Caretta, 31, of Francesco, a priest.

T.
Debid76
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Debid76 »

I am trying to locate her death record so I can know for sure. But, I think this may be it!

Thank you for translating it for me!!

Deb
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Debid76 wrote:I am trying to locate her death record so I can know for sure. But, I think this may be it!

Thank you for translating it for me!!

Deb
Glad to help! Hope this is her record! :-)

T.