Translation of wives on death record - Antonino Orlando

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
lilbees
Master
Master

Translation of wives on death record - Antonino Orlando

Post by lilbees »

Can someone decipher what the second wife's name is on this death record. I know the first wife is Margarite Petta but am a loss as to the second one.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... :832396584

Thank you
lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Translation of wives on death record - Antonino Orlando

Post by erudita74 »

lilbees wrote:Can someone decipher what the second wife's name is on this death record. I know the first wife is Margarite Petta but am a loss as to the second one.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... :832396584

Thank you
lilbees
I don't know if you realize that Antonino and the two wives had titles. He was Cavaliere Don Antonino Orlando and the first wife was Donna Margarita Petta. The last wife also had the title Donna. I think her first name could have been Cosima, a first name I see in some of the death indices for the town. I also see Ignoti, which I see is a surname in Palermo Province, but I don't know what is before and after that in the record, and I don't see her name in the death indices for the town. I went as far as the death indices in image 1633 or so. I don't recall what year that index was for though.

Sorry I can't be more helpful with this.

Erudita
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Thank you so much for your help. Just having the first name will hopefully be of some help. In fact, I just came across a birth record 1875 and the child's first name is Cosima which is the first I have some across for any of the birth records I have reviewed. Father is Antonino Orlando born 1853. So will see if I can come up with anything else.

Thanks again,
lilbees
Researching: RESCIGNO, CATALANO, LA MAGRA, ANGRISANO, CALABRESE, PAGANO, GAGLIO, DE ANGELIS,COSTABILE Campania-Napoli/Salerno/Palermo, Italy and Tunisia Africa
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

I was hoping I could track down a death record for the wife to confirm her first name. At first, the name looked like Casiana to me, but then I noticed that names that looked like that in the index were actually Cosima on the actual records. Also I see in the earlier of the death indices that titles are used, so I was hoping that would be a help as well, but I didn't see anything close. Hopefully you'll see the name again in some other record and the last name will be legible.

Erudita
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

Hello Erudita & Lilbees,
I read "Cosima d'ignoti (o d'ignotis) intesa Campagna".
So, maybe Cosima (or some of her ancestors) was a foundling who was popularly known by the family name Campagna.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Now I am having to back track. I came across a Francesco Compagna Orlando marriage. Will have to search it out. He also had a title. Can't remember if I came across it in an old allegati or a marriage listing for someone else.

Oh well, this is what makes genealogy fun.

lilbees
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

How dumb I can be. I have Antonino's marriage to Cosima 1863.

Page 1
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1863803726

Page 2
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1863803726

Maybe this can help.

lilbees
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

Marriage act confirms Cosima was daughter of unknown parents. Age is not mentioned, either. You should look in the "allegati" to see if there's something more.
I noticed that Cosima has the title "donna", so, this can have two reasons:
- just for the fact that she was marrying a "don", she automatically gained the "title"
or
- she was "officially" of unknown parents, but people knew who her parents were, and they were of some high social level (or even she was an orphan grown in a well-off family)

lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Thanks Pippo, gong through the allegati now. Good old "one page at a time" but when I do I can't resist trying to read each one. Have found a lot of treasures in doing so.

Will post if I find anything on that marriage.

lilbees
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Found it. Please read through attached which is in, I believe, Latin. It mentions Margarite Petta and Cosima or whatever her name is.

The documents start on:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1452850903

Hopefully someone can help me out.

lilbees
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

Looks like a "secret marriage" but I need some more time to understand...

lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Thank you Pippo, Look forward to what you can come up with.

lilbees
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Look what I found, a birth record in 1862.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1240389581

That is probably why there may have been a "secret wedding". Cosima was 36 years old and Antonino was 78 years old. What a difference. Still looking for more.

lilbees
lilbees
Master
Master

Post by lilbees »

Just located Biaggia's marriage to Nicolo Nicolosi 1876. This was entered in part 2.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1985475368

What comune were they married in?

lilbees
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

lilbees wrote:Just located Biaggia's marriage to Nicolo Nicolosi 1876. This was entered in part 2.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1985475368

What comune were they married in?

lilbees
Address is not mentioned, but I think it was in Lercara. The act was entered in part 2, as the bride sent a medical certification stating she could not go to the Town Hall for the marriage, so the Mayor had to go to her house. The bride was only 14!