Reverendo Padre,

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
DonnaPellegrin
Veteran
Veteran

Reverendo Padre,

Post by DonnaPellegrin »

I am writing a letter to a parish priest in the town of my ancestors to ask for a marriage record from his church. I have created my letter using parts of several sample letters because none of the sample letters that I have found was exactly like my request. I am having some difficulty and I would like to ask for help from anyone who knows Italian. It is important that this letter is worded correctly. The priest that I am writing to is known to be difficult and I am attempting to gain his sympathy.

My first question is simple. I am starting the letter by stating my name. What is the proper Italian?
Mi chiamo Donna Pellegrin ed abito negli Stati Uniti
or
Mi chiama Donna Pellegrin ed abito negli Stati Uniti

My second problem is more difficult. I have pieced together my last paragraph using parts of sample letters. I am worried that my translation is not correct. Can anyone please correct it for me?

In English:
I would like to ask if you could be so kind as to search for the marriage act of my great-grandparents in your marriage registers from 1866 to 1871. I would be very grateful if you could transcribe in full the marriage act onto a parish certificate. Or, if possible and more convenient, if you could photocopy the act. This information is very important to my family.

My translation:
Vorrei chiederLe se, per favore, puo’ essere cosi’ gentile da ricercare l’atto di matrimonio di miei bisnonni nei vostri registri dal 1866 fino al 1871. La sarei molta grata se poteste trascriverlo per esteso sui certificato parrocchiale di matrimonio che cortesemente Le chiedo di invaiarmi. Oppure, se avesse la possibilità e fosse più conveniente per Lei, vorrei una fotocopia di l’atto. Queste informazioni sono molto importanti alla mia famiglia.
Donna Pellegrin
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Reverendo Padre,

Post by suanj »

DonnaPellegrin wrote:I am writing a letter to a parish priest in the town of my ancestors to ask for a marriage record from his church. I have created my letter using parts of several sample letters because none of the sample letters that I have found was exactly like my request. I am having some difficulty and I would like to ask for help from anyone who knows Italian. It is important that this letter is worded correctly. The priest that I am writing to is known to be difficult and I am attempting to gain his sympathy.

My first question is simple. I am starting the letter by stating my name. What is the proper Italian?
Mi chiamo Donna Pellegrin ed abito negli Stati Uniti
or
Mi chiama Donna Pellegrin ed abito negli Stati Uniti

My second problem is more difficult. I have pieced together my last paragraph using parts of sample letters. I am worried that my translation is not correct. Can anyone please correct it for me?

In English:
I would like to ask if you could be so kind as to search for the marriage act of my great-grandparents in your marriage registers from 1866 to 1871. I would be very grateful if you could transcribe in full the marriage act onto a parish certificate. Or, if possible and more convenient, if you could photocopy the act. This information is very important to my family.

My translation:
Vorrei chiederLe se, per favore, puo’ essere cosi’ gentile da ricercare l’atto di matrimonio di miei bisnonni nei vostri registri dal 1866 fino al 1871. La sarei molta grata se poteste trascriverlo per esteso sui certificato parrocchiale di matrimonio che cortesemente Le chiedo di invaiarmi. Oppure, se avesse la possibilità e fosse più conveniente per Lei, vorrei una fotocopia di l’atto. Queste informazioni sono molto importanti alla mia famiglia.
Hi Donna, for first thing I wish say that are an 0,01 of probability that some priest reply to someone.. but... in any case:

1-Mi chiamo Donna Pellegrin ed abito negli Stati Uniti= just

2-Vorrei chiederLe se, per favore, puo’ essere cosi’ gentile da ricercare l’atto di matrimonio di miei bisnonni nei vostri registri dal 1866 fino al 1871. La sarei molta grata se poteste trascriverlo per esteso sui certificato parrocchiale di matrimonio che cortesemente Le chiedo di invaiarmi. Oppure, se avesse la possibilità e fosse più conveniente per Lei, vorrei una fotocopia di l’atto. Queste informazioni sono molto importanti alla mia famiglia.= frankly this is an utopia... but in any case " cortesemente le chiedo sia il certificato di matrimonio dei miei bisnonni ..... (here insert the names: husband and wife/surname and first name) sposatisi tra il 1866 e il 1871 che una fotocopia integrale dello stesso come dal registro parrocchiale. Quanto sopra richiesto è molto importante per la mia famiglia.

Good luck, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
DonnaPellegrin
Veteran
Veteran

Post by DonnaPellegrin »

Thank you, suanj, for your kind reply. I am having some difficulty learning the Italian language. I suppose it will become easier in time. I do appreciate your help.

I realize that this preist will probably not reply to my request. Unfortunately, this particular record is very important and I need to try. If the good padre does not reply, I hope my ancestors haunt him!

Thanks, again!

Donna
Donna Pellegrin
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

DonnaPellegrin wrote:Thank you, suanj, for your kind reply. I am having some difficulty learning the Italian language. I suppose it will become easier in time. I do appreciate your help.

I realize that this preist will probably not reply to my request. Unfortunately, this particular record is very important and I need to try. If the good padre does not reply, I hope my ancestors haunt him!

Thanks, again!

Donna
Dear Donna
in my experience, I not replies from priests.. ever been ... or with money fopr church or without money for church.. same thing...no help, no reply and no money back to me!! really this is an great mistery :wink: !!!
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH