Translation of Marriage Act

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
ladominocrna
Elite
Elite

Translation of Marriage Act

Post by ladominocrna »

Can someone please help with the translation of the marriage act...thanks.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... n857144489
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Translation of Marriage Act

Post by adelfio »

Need some names and which act and page number

Grazie Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

I think this is the marriage act that Leroy is looking for based on the surname he has been following in this town-

Dated Feb 23, 1839
Banns on Dec 30, 1838 and Jan 1 and 6 1839
Groom: Emmanuele Catalinotto, legitimate and natural son of dec Bernardo Catalinotto and deceased Vincenza Mondello
He was the widower of dec Leonarda Dragna
Bride: Caterina di Palermo, daughter of dec Maestro Antonino di Palermo and dec Mattia Montalto.
She was the widow of dec Vito Ferraro
Witnesses: D. Domenico lo Piccolo and Pasquale di Prima*

*Just for your info, the witnesses found in these church records are church witnesses, so you may see the same witnesses on other records. In the state civil records, witnesses for a marriage were often produced by the couple getting married. This info is normally specified in the record in a handwritten section. Thus the witnesses in the civil marriage records are often, but not always, related to the couple getting married.

Erudita
ladominocrna
Elite
Elite

Post by ladominocrna »

Thank you so much, Erudita. That is why I was having problems with it because they were widows and widowers....So in latin what is the words for widow and widower that I can look for. Thanks again.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

ladominocrna wrote:Thank you so much, Erudita. That is why I was having problems with it because they were widows and widowers....So in latin what is the words for widow and widower that I can look for. Thanks again.
Leroy
4th line from the top of the record and 4th line from the bottom of the record, there is what appears to be written as "vid qnd"

the words for widower (male) and widow (female) in Latin are viduus (masculine) and vidua (feminine). The qnd in this record is an abbreviation for the word quondam which means former or refers to a deceased person.

Here's a Latin word list which might help, which you may have seen before

https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/ ... _Word_List

Erudita
ladominocrna
Elite
Elite

Post by ladominocrna »

Thanks for all the help and information...

Leroy
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

ladominocrna wrote:Thanks for all the help and information...

Leroy

You're very welcome, Leroy. Hope you get better than me at reading these church documents!
Erudita