need help with death index information for Michele Sarnese

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
scraig32
Elite
Elite

need help with death index information for Michele Sarnese

Post by scraig32 »

Hello- I think I have found my ancestor on the 1880 death index for Riccia. It shows that Michele Sarnese di Francesco died on March 30,1880. I can not read the line that tells what volume I would find the acct in. I did go to the deaths for March 1880 and could not find his name. Am I missing something? Any information or insight would be greatly appreciated. Suzanne

Here is the listing on the 10 year index
http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

and here is the page that the actual document should be on

and finally, here is his name on the annual index. I just don't understand the information given about where to locate his file. It says "Porta 2-3"

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 4.jpg.html
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: need help with death index information for Michele Sarne

Post by erudita74 »

The record is #3 of Part II of the 1880 records. I didn't get a chance to look at the record yet.

Erudita
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

scraig32 wrote:Hello- I think I have found my ancestor on the 1880 death index for Riccia. It shows that Michele Sarnese di Francesco died on March 30,1880. I can not read the line that tells what volume I would find the acct in. I did go to the deaths for March 1880 and could not find his name. Am I missing something? Any information or insight would be greatly appreciated. Suzanne

and finally, here is his name on the annual index. I just don't understand the information given about where to locate his file. It says "Porta 2-3"

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 4.jpg.html
Hi there

This means that you will find it in the Supplementary Registry (Parta 2) for 1880. So it is "Parta 2, Index no 3".

Hope this helps you find it. Sorry I can't help you look for it at the moment. Good luck.

Angela
scraig32
Elite
Elite

Post by scraig32 »

Thanks Angela! I will look for part 2. Great help! Suzanne
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

erudita74 wrote:http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

The record is #3 of Part II of the 1880 records. I didn't get a chance to look at the record yet.

Erudita

The above is the link to the extract of the death record which appears among the Riccia records. Michele, however, died in the town of Torremaggiore in Foggia Province. Here the link to the original death record referenced in the extracted record above.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... :443271905

He died on Dec 3, 1879 in Torremaggiore
scraig32
Elite
Elite

Post by scraig32 »

Wow! Thank you Erudita! Does either document give any other information such as name of spouse or parents by any chance? I eally appreciate you looking for me. Suzanne
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

scraig32 wrote:Wow! Thank you Erudita! Does either document give any other information such as name of spouse or parents by any chance? I eally appreciate you looking for me. Suzanne

Sorry, I am multi tasking as usual.

He died on Dec 3, 1879 at noon, in the house on Strada Carmine, in Torremaggiore. He was age 60 and a day laborer born and resident in Riccia. He was the son of deceased Francesco Sarnese and Signora la madre. I'm not sure about the info which is after her name.

Erudita
scraig32
Elite
Elite

Post by scraig32 »

shoot! I can't seem to find her name anywhere! But I do thank you so very very much for translating the document for me. I really appreciate it! Suzanne
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

scraig32 wrote:shoot! I can't seem to find her name anywhere! But I do thank you so very very much for translating the document for me. I really appreciate it! Suzanne

I think the correct surname is in the birth record I translated. I am guessing that the phrase "Signora la madre" was used since he died in another town, and the name of the mother was simply unknown, as the phrase means, Signora, the mother.

Erudita
scraig32
Elite
Elite

Post by scraig32 »

I think that you are right. Thank you so much
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

scraig32 wrote:Thanks Angela! I will look for part 2. Great help! Suzanne
Glad I could help Suzanne. Erudita has done all the great work here.

Hi Erudita: Wow, you've been busy. Great work. (I've just returned from a short native bush hike :) )

Angela
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

AngelaGrace56 wrote:

Hi Erudita: Wow, you've been busy. Great work. (I've just returned from a short native bush hike :) )

Angela

Hi Angela
Don't you know that breaks from genealogy research are not allowed??? I was bad too though and did get out to a yoga class today. The weather by me was not good for my several mile walk. Ugh!

BTW, you've been doing very well with translations. Keep it up.
Erudita
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

erudita74 wrote:
AngelaGrace56 wrote:

Angela

Hi Angela
Don't you know that breaks from genealogy research are not allowed??? I was bad too though and did get out to a yoga class today. The weather by me was not good for my several mile walk. Ugh!

BTW, you've been doing very well with translations. Keep it up.
Erudita
:lol: I don't think I was quite as naughty as you Erudita. :P The delightful thing was that it ended up being a VERY “genealogy research related” outing:

While out hiking, my friend and I were so engaged in conversation that we ended up taking the track which leads to an old section of a local cemetery which contains very interesting old headstones, surrounds and enclosures, which sadly have not been maintained and consequently are in a very bad state. We were both very disappointed with the measure of their neglect. This prompted me to remember and tell two related stories, one about a family who undertook to restore two newly discovered ancestors' damaged headstones and in the process of organising funding etc discovered many living relatives that they had previously been totally unaware of. At the conclusion of the restoration project a family reunion was organised at which many newly found descendants of the deceased couple attended and one of the convenors of the project presented a talk about the early life of the deceased couple.

The second story was about a friend who many years ago found a gravestone in exactly the same cemetery we visited yesterday. She was so puzzled and intrigued by its inscription that she resolved to find out more, did so, and being a gifted writer wrote the man's history. I couldn't recall all the details when I recounted the story but the totally amazing thing is that when we got back to the main track again who should we bump into but my friend who had undertaken this research all those years ago. (How's that for coincidence?) She then joined us on the remainder of our walk and was able to fill in some gaps for me.

I think I've redeemed myself – on this occasion anyway :wink:
erudita74 wrote: BTW, you've been doing very well with translations. Keep it up.
Erudita
Thank you Erudita. I hope the weather is better today so you are able to walk. (We have a stunner here today - blue skies, sunshine, slight breeze!)

Angela