Guardalabene Death Document

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
smas1973
Master
Master

Guardalabene Death Document

Post by smas1973 »

Can I get help to translate this Document from Family Search #2

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... n810181661
Thank You For All Your Help With The Translation Of This Documents

Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Riggio, & Bondi.

Researching Termini Imerese, Palermo surnames Mascari, Spicuzza, Capone, Catalano & Pusateri
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Re: Guardalabene Death Document

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Death Record No 2 – Angelo Guardalabene di Antonino

Dated 6 January 1903 at 10 a.m.

He died 5 January 1903 at 7 p.m. in Fuori Porta Girgenti?.
Angelo was aged 26, Farmer, living and born in Termini, son of Antonino, Farmer and Anna Demma, Housewife both of Termini. He was single.

(Very tragic - two brothers dying a month apart. Were they twins?)

Angela
smas1973
Master
Master

Post by smas1973 »

Thank you for asking Angela I will look into it and see what I find. Does it give his name or age?

Researching Termini Imerese, Palermo surnames Mascari, Spicuzza, Capone, Catalano & Pusateri
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

smas1973 wrote:Thank you for asking Angela I will look into it and see what I find. Does it give his name or age?
Your welcome. :) It was basically just an observation that I made - two brothers Salvatore (Death Record No 309) died December 1902 and Angelo died January 1903 - both recorded as being aged 26 - same parents - Antonino and Anna Demma. They were either very close in age or twins (or their ages have been recorded incorrectly). I guess you may find their birth records in 1876-1877 or anything from 1870-1880. It will be interesting to know.

(BTB: I noticed that their respective "declarers" of the death event were different.)

Angela
smas1973
Master
Master

Post by smas1973 »

Hello Angela
That was a nice catch I have looked at the tree and looking at the death document so much I didn't even catch that. I did look them up on the Termini Imerese Database and found Angelo's Birth was on 1/25/1873 and he was the 3rd Angelo the 1st was born on 4/26/1861 the 2nd was born on 10/18/1863 then found that 1 died on 11/10/1864 at 1 year 1 month old and the other Angelo on 1/5/1903. and for the 3rd Angelo did not find a death on him.
For Salvatore he was born on 10/14/1875 and died on 12/6/1902.

What were the names as the declarers and does it show the addresses of the 2 where they lived?
That is pretty sad losing 2 children so close and young. Would you happen to know how I would be able to find out the cause of death for them 2? You said he died in (Fuori Porta Girgenti) is that in Termini Imerese?

Thank You Scott Mascheri

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

smas1973 wrote:Hello Angela
That was a nice catch I have looked at the tree and looking at the death document so much I didn't even catch that. I did look them up on the Termini Imerese Database and found Angelo's Birth was on 1/25/1873 and he was the 3rd Angelo the 1st was born on 4/26/1861 the 2nd was born on 10/18/1863 then found that 1 died on 11/10/1864 at 1 year 1 month old and the other Angelo on 1/5/1903. and for the 3rd Angelo did not find a death on him.
For Salvatore he was born on 10/14/1875 and died on 12/6/1902.

What were the names as the declarers and does it show the addresses of the 2 where they lived?
That is pretty sad losing 2 children so close and young. Would you happen to know how I would be able to find out the cause of death for them 2? You said he died in (Fuori Porta Girgenti) is that in Termini Imerese?

Thank You Scott Mascheri
Hi Scott

Yes, very tragic to lose two children so young - it doesn't bare thinking about. Unfortunately it happened a lot back then.

Fuori Porta Girgenti is what was written in the slot where the address usually goes and I did google it but because it came up in Italian I couldn't really get clarity on what it was saying so maybe someone else can help us with this. It was definitely connected with Termini. I'll have another search to see what comes up.

I don't think that it normally tells us on a death record how someone dies. I have only seen this once in my family history. Someone else might like to confirm this and maybe look at both the records to make sure I haven't missed anything.

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Fuori Porta Girgenti

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

I think it possibly means "on the outskirts" or "outside the walls of (the town)". I'm not 100% certain here. Someone else needs to verify or correct this :)

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

AngelaGrace56 wrote:I think it possibly means "outside the port of Girgenti - possibly meaning Agrigento ". I'm still not 100% certain here. :?

Angela
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Fuoriporta means outside the city gate. Porta Girgenti was the gate towards the road connecting Termini Imerese to Girgenti (Agrigento).
Fuoriporta Girgenti is now called "Piazza S. Antonio"
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

liviomoreno wrote:Fuoriporta means outside the city gate. Porta Girgenti was the gate towards the road connecting Termini Imerese to Girgenti (Agrigento).
Fuoriporta Girgenti is now called "Piazza S. Antonio"
Thank you for explaining this. I was struggling to understand. I kept thinking of "porta" meaning "door" as well. This is very interesting.

Angela