Help with Latin marriage record!

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
ginaruiz1998
Veteran
Veteran

Help with Latin marriage record!

Post by ginaruiz1998 »

Hello! I am hoping that someone on here can take a look at this marriage record in Latin and perhaps give me the basic info...if it has the ages and parents names and thing like that? Does it also give birthplace? Anything you can help me with would be great! Thank you!

Gina

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1098254569
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Help with Latin marriage record!

Post by erudita74 »

ginaruiz1998 wrote:Hello! I am hoping that someone on here can take a look at this marriage record in Latin and perhaps give me the basic info...if it has the ages and parents names and thing like that? Does it also give birthplace? Anything you can help me with would be great! Thank you!

Gina

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1098254569

Gina
There are 4 different records on these two pages. Which is the record you need?
Erudita
ginaruiz1998
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ginaruiz1998 »

Oh I am sorry! I forgot that! It's the first one on the right side...for Andrea Salerno! Sorry!
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

ginaruiz1998 wrote:Oh I am sorry! I forgot that! It's the first one on the right side...for Andrea Salerno! Sorry!

A lot of names in this record, Gina, so I hope I have it all correct;

Dated Feb 19, 1829
Groom: Andrea Salerno, widower in the 2nd bed of Barbara Ferrara, who was the daughter of deceased Geronimo. Andrea was the legitimate and natural son of deceased Maestro Vincenzo Salerno and deceased Anna Francaviglia, who were spouses when they were alive.
Bride: Anna Girgenti was the widow of Domenico Scianni, the son of deceased Gaspare. She was the legitimate and natural daughter of Francesco Girgenti, son of deceased Vito, and Maria Gristina, the daughter of deceased Antonio.
Witnesses were Maestro Francesco Grisaffi and Maestri Raimondo and Francesco Ferraro, sons of deceased Filippo (Ferrara).

Erudita
ginaruiz1998
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ginaruiz1998 »

Thank you so much, Erudita! This helps me go back even further with my family tree! What does "in the second bed of Barbara Ferrara" mean? I've never seen or heard that expression before!

Mille Grazie!
Gina
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

ginaruiz1998 wrote:Thank you so much, Erudita! This helps me go back even further with my family tree! What does "in the second bed of Barbara Ferrara" mean? I've never seen or heard that expression before!

Mille Grazie!
Gina
It means that she was his second wife. The name of the first wife is not in the record, which I'm sure is your next question.
Erudita
ginaruiz1998
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ginaruiz1998 »

Actually I was confused because I have another record ( a marriage record for Andrea's son, Vincenzo) that states that Andrea's wife was named Maria D'Angelo. So then the marriage to Anna Girenti would have been the third? Again, sorry for all the questions...I'm trying to keep all my notations in order and this gets complicated!

Grazie,
Gina
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

ginaruiz1998 wrote:Actually I was confused because I have another record ( a marriage record for Andrea's son, Vincenzo) that states that Andrea's wife was named Maria D'Angelo. So then the marriage to Anna Girenti would have been the third? Again, sorry for all the questions...I'm trying to keep all my notations in order and this gets complicated!

Grazie,
Gina
Yes. Anna Girgenti would be the third wife, and Barbara Ferrara the second, so perhaps Maria D'Angelo was the first. The marriage record to Maria should indicate if the spouses were previously married or had never before been married. Is that record posted on the forum for me to see? Maria should be the first marriage, then Barbara the second, then Anna the third. Hopefully the dates on the records will also confirm this.

Edit: I see the info about Maria is in the handwritten section of a marriage publication you posted for a child of Vincenzo, but you should still try to find the other marriage records of Andrea (the grandfather).
Erudita
ginaruiz1998
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ginaruiz1998 »

Great! So you found the marriage I posted some time back....so then I should try to find the one with Andrea and Barbara Ferrara....just to verify everything???

Grazie,
Gina
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

ginaruiz1998 wrote:Great! So you found the marriage I posted some time back....so then I should try to find the one with Andrea and Barbara Ferrara....just to verify everything???

Grazie,
Gina

Hi Gina
Yes, the marriage to Barbara Ferrara should show that he was a widower and may give the name of his first wife.
Erudita
ginaruiz1998
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ginaruiz1998 »

Will do! Wish me luck! :)

Grazie,
Gina
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

ginaruiz1998 wrote:Will do! Wish me luck! :)

Grazie,
Gina

You know I do!
Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1593902070

look at this marriage record, when you get a chance. I think this is the marriage for Maestro Andrea Salerno, son of deceased Rocco? and deceased Maria Salerno, with Antonina Collura, daughter of living Nicolai and deceased Anna Collura, dated Jan 8, 1728 (image 140 of 399), left side, second record.

This would be Andrea the grandfather.

Erudita

(also check under your baptism post for the other marriage record you posted there, where it shows that the grandfather Andrea's wife's first name was Antonina)
ginaruiz1998
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ginaruiz1998 »

OMG! Erudita I was going to post that record this morning! I found it late last night! I thought I was on the right track and looks like I was! Thank you so much! I can't believe it's from 1728! WOW! So...I am thinking I should look for Battesimo's for both Andrea Salerno and Antonino Collura? Or Maybe for Vincenzo (their son) since I know he was most likely born after 1728! I am just amazed as to how far back I am getting with your help! It is AWESOME!

Grazie Mille,
Gina
ginaruiz1998
Veteran
Veteran

Post by ginaruiz1998 »

Also, I read so many pages of Latin script yesterday I swear my dreams were in Latin last night! :)