help with a couple of words on death record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
jkingb
Veteran
Veteran

help with a couple of words on death record

Post by jkingb »

I am having trouble understanding the 2 words just under the mother's info (i.e., where it says "living Margarita") in the attached document. Not sure if the writing pertains to her, or someone/something else, but was curious what it means. Thanks!
Attachments
getinfo copy.jpg
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: help with a couple of words on death record

Post by erudita74 »

I'm inclined to think that it's "donna di casa" (housewife) and that the beg part got cut off on the right side of the record, as the word "professione" precedes it. I also think that what you are seeing as the word for "living" is actually her surname.

Erudita
jkingb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jkingb »

Yes, I think it is "donna di casa"! I was wondering why there would be something written after the field for profession, so I assumed it didn't relate to her - I just hadn't seen the "d" and the rest was unclear, though I see it now.

Her surname should be Gobetto, so I believe the word in front is a reference to her being alive ("vite" or "vita" - can't recall the correct ending right now. Or maybe it's an abbreviation for "vivente") - this seems to be the pattern on these records. I haven't seen one from this period that does not specify whether the parent is living or deceased. Some do leave off the surname.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Okay, then the word should be "vita." The only reason I said about the surname was that I see that the surnames precede the first names in the record, as with the names of the deceased and the names of the witnesses.

Erudita
jkingb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jkingb »

Ok. Thanks! I know, at first I actually wondered if I had the wrong couple, because that is where I expected to find a surname. But on several occasions I have found records with the first name only in this collection - the older the record, the more likely a surname may not be available, which makes sense. On the other hand, I haven't yet seen the "vite/vita" or otherwise "fu" omitted in these church records from Torino.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

I read Vte = Vivente Margarita. Living Margarita.
jkingb
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jkingb »

Thanks Livio,

I also thought I was seeing Vte - just wasn't sure if an extra "e" was omitted, or if it was an abbreviation. "Vivente" it must be. Thank you again, both!