Gabbiora

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Anizio
Elite
Elite

Gabbiora

Post by Anizio »

Hello,

reading the birth certificate of my trisnonna, it lists her father's occupation as "Gabbiora" which I have not been able translate anywhere.
Gabbiora.jpg
I recently found out that he came from Torno, which was famous for its fine works, one of which were bird cages (gabbiette). His death certificate also lists his occupation as "merchant" and Torno was known for sending people across Europe to sell its wares in the 1800s. I further found out that his wife's grandfather was the inventor of these special cages.

As a result, is it possible that the profession "Gabbiora" has something to do with these cages? "Gabbiette," perhaps it means cage maker or cage vender?
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Gabbiora

Post by PippoM »

I'd say you are right, but the spelling should be (as I read it) "gabbiaro"
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Pippo my old reliable Cambridge University Italian dictionary (American Edition 1945) says that a bird cage maker is translated as a GABBIAIO. I suspect that word changes constantly occur in every language so everybody is correct don't you think? Peter
~Peter~
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

Yes, I do :-)
I also think "gabbiaro" is an older spelling.
Moreover, a lot of job's names are changed similarly according to the various dialects (macellaio --> macellaro; cestaio --> cestaro; fruttaiolo --> fruttarolo, and so on)
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Not only that here in the States you had "la terza lingua" 1/2 English 1/2 dialect and even that has gone away. Peter
~Peter~