Translation Needed

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
rp76226
Master
Master

Translation Needed

Post by rp76226 »

I think that this is a death record for Giuseppe Lo Cascio, but I really am not sure. Would appreciate if someone would translate the key genealogical data (parents, ages, dates).

http://postimg.org/image/z8x42jemt/
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Translation Needed

Post by erudita74 »

Ron

Giuseppe Cascio (lo does not appear before the surname Cascio in reference to him in this record) died on May 10, 1831. He was a peasant living in the district of Sant'Angelo in the town of Polizzi. I can't make out his age at death. He died at 12:15 in the night. The two lo Cascio individuals in the record are not stated to be the parents of Giuseppe. They are witnesses who did not know how to write. The record states that the death act was inserted in two registers in the presence of the witnesses. The first, Gandolfo lo Cascio, age 60, was a peasant living in the district of Sant'Angelo. The second lo Cascio (first name looks like it begins with the letter M to me, age 34, was also a peasant living there. The record states that the town official received notice of Giuseppe's death. I don't see any parents' names given in the record.
Erudita
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

Thank you. Kind of disappointing to actually find a death record without parents or a spouse. Wonder why that happened.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

I really don't know the answers, Ron. I've read and re read the record, and the info is simply not there. I don't know who wrote that info in the left margin with the parents' names, but it is not correct. The two people mentioned are definitely not the deceased's parents. As far as I can tell, the second witness is also male and not female. They are not even declarants in the record. It seems the insertion of the death act into the registers was done in the presence of the witnesses. The record doesn't state that these two individuals witnessed the death or even reported it. The record just states that the officials received news of Giuseppe's death. I don't even see anything about Giuseppe dying in some other town, or the news of the death being received from another town.
Erudita
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

Thank you for your efforts.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Sorry the info is disappointing.
Erudita
bvbellomo
Veteran
Veteran

Post by bvbellomo »

My 7th great grandfather was 'Giuseppe Cascio' in Polizzi. He was still alive in 1820 when his 73 year old son Stefano died, but I never found his death certificate. This might be him. Unless he died in 1833 or 1844, which have no records, I would have found his certificate, and almost all list ages, so there aren't a lot of possibilities. His wife (Giuseppa Collesano) would have been dead over a decade ago, he' be extremely old, so possibly no one knew his age or his parents names. The 1811 census might be worth looking at - if nothing else, it would tell how many Giuseppe Lo Cascio's were alive at the time (although we couldn't say for certain that this man was even born in 1811).

I doubt 'Illuminata' is the 2nd witness, as the profession listed looks clearly like 'contadino', it could be 'contadina' but I rarely see this listed for women of Polizzi. There was an 'Illuminato Cascio' alive at the time in the town, but he'd be older and this is not a common name. My guess is it is 'Mariano Cascio', even though I'd don't have one that age in my database, it was a common name. Stefano had a son Gandolfo who could be the withness, although this was an extremely common name.

It looks to me like this certificate says he lived in Sant'Orsola, not Sant'Angelo. This fits with my family history too.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

I'm inclined to agree that the district is Sant'Orsola and not Sant'Angelo as I originally typed.
Thanks for catching this mistake.
Erudita
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

My Giuseppe Cascio (about 1797 -1831) had a first born son named Stefano who was born March 21, 1820. Your Giuseppe and Stefano are obviously much older. Given Italian naming traditions, I'm wondering if my ancestors Giuseppe and Stefano were named after your older Giuseppe and Stefano.