Transcription of Atto Di Nascita

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
CaterinaT

Transcription of Atto Di Nascita

Post by CaterinaT »

Hello All,

Anyone up for translating an 1845 Sicilian baptism record? I am particularly interested in the name of the parish, as that opens up a lot of new avenues for searching! :)

Thank you in advance,

Caterina

To add, I have some of the details - community of Menfi, via Sciacca, Agrigento, Calogero Triolo.
Attachments
Triolo_2.jpg
paola52
Elite
Elite

Re: Transcription of Atto Di Nascita

Post by paola52 »

25 Sep 1854
Giovanna Caruso , 50, midwife, presents to the mayor a male child, son of Giuseppa R….ore (I suppose, after looking to Pippo’s translation of your previous post, that it is “Rumore”) , 30, living in Melfi, via ……..and of Calogero Triolo, 31, shoemaker, born 24 Sep in the house of said Calogero.
She gives to the child the name Calogero
On the right the Baptism annotation. The child was baptized 25 Sep in the “madrice” a word meaning mother church, that in modern Italian is spelled “matrice”
The matrice of Menfi was the church of Sant’Antonio da Padova, parish from 1705 onwards
http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Menfi#Arch ... _religiose
http://www.webdiocesi.chiesacattolica.i ... &id_en=293
Wikipedia says that it was destroyed during the 1968 earthquake and was rebuilt, but it doesn’t say anything about the archives
Ciao
Researching Provinces of Varese, Como and Milan and the valleys around Turin
CaterinaT

Post by CaterinaT »

Dear Paola52,

I can't thank you enough! You have made is possible for us to go to the actual church while in Sicily - making a dream come true for us. I hope that my Italian is one day good enough that I can pay it forward, or possibly I can find I site where I can translate the English for Italians/Sicilians! :)

Are you in Sicily, or NY? I'd love to buy you a present from Menfi!!!! Spending your time to help a stranger is such a kind act, I will pay it forward somehow, as will my husband. Thank you.
paola52
Elite
Elite

Post by paola52 »

Happy to help! :D
In fact, I live in Northern Italy and I never visited Sicily, but I hope to do so sooner or later...
Good luck with the search for your family!
Ciao e buona fortuna
Paola
Researching Provinces of Varese, Como and Milan and the valleys around Turin