Marriage Record 1926 - Occupation

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
ItalianbellaSA
Elite
Elite

Marriage Record 1926 - Occupation

Post by ItalianbellaSA »

Hi everyone!

I found a marriage record for two people on my family tree.

It states the occupation of the groom as "carrettiere", which I think means "wagoner". I also noted that the bride is also listed as a "carrettiere" but there is also something written after that word that I don't understand. Does this mean that they drove a wagon in the fields?

Can someone please see if these words can be translated? Thank you.

Here is the link:

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,244764401
It is hoped that the research I am doing helps to discover, preserve and celebrate my family history.

Sue Antista
ItalianbellaSA
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Marriage Record 1926 - Occupation

Post by erudita74 »

it says dico casalingua

this is a correction to her occupation-should say housewife

Erudita
ItalianbellaSA
Elite
Elite

Post by ItalianbellaSA »

Thank you very much! I guess a wagoner drove the wagons in the fields?
It is hoped that the research I am doing helps to discover, preserve and celebrate my family history.

Sue Antista
ItalianbellaSA
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

I would translate carrettiere as cart driver
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

I agree that a carrettiere was a cart driver.

Just to give you some background info-In Sicily, the craft of making the cart was passed down from generation to generation and may even be said to have been a competitive occupation. The carts were elaborately decorated and had scenes from Sicilian history, folklore, mythology, religious figures, battles, etc. They were also different shapes, and painted in different colors, depending on the province in Sicily. Over rough terrains they were pulled by donkeys, mules, oxen. In the cities, they were pulled by horses. They were initially used to transport goods such as crops, produce,and even wine barrels. Once roads became more viable, they were even used to transport families on weekends. In 1908, after the earthquake in Messina, they even carried some 80,000 victims to their graves.Today, in Sicily, they are mainly seen in parades, at public festivals, at fashion shows, weddings, other ceremonies, or in museums.

Erudita
dmt1955
Master
Master

Post by dmt1955 »

erudita,
just wanted to say how much i appreciate you providing some history regarding occupations. i personally find it very interesting and the information adds a richness for me.

thanks again for sharing you knowledge.

buona pasqua,
donna
Locations of interest: Ariano Irpino, Altavilla Irpina, Montaguto, Volturrara Irpina, Paternopoli, San Mango Sul Calore
https://ArianoIrpinoGenealogy.weebly.com/
https://paternopoligenealogy.weebly.com/
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

dmt1955 wrote:erudita,
just wanted to say how much i appreciate you providing some history regarding occupations. i personally find it very interesting and the information adds a richness for me.

thanks again for sharing you knowledge.

buona pasqua,
donna

Hi Donna
Glad you enjoyed the info. Here's a book which might interest anyone who has Sicilian ancestry

http://www.amazon.com/History-Road-Pain ... ilian+cart

Buona Pasqua

Erudita