Death Record Translation

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
calcinare

Death Record Translation

Post by calcinare »

Hello. Can someone please provide a translation of this death record for Domenico Santone from San Giovanni in Galdo? I would particularly like to understand what is being referred to with regard to comments “sparo violente”- was he shot and/or involved in the military?

Also, two pages prior on Image 259, what does the word “conoscenta” mean after Lorenzo di Rienzo’s name- was he related in some way to Nicola Santone?

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Death Record Translation

Post by erudita74 »

In the image with Lorenzo di Rienzo-the word conoscente means he was an acquaintance of the deceased.

Giorgio di Luca, the first declarant, was a cognato or brother-in- law of the deceased-so he was related to the deceased Nicola Santone through marriage.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

I'll do my best to answer your first question about whether he was shot or in the military. The record does not specify if he was in the military or not. You can draw your own conclusion concerning that. What I am understanding is that he was fatally shot in the head and also that, when the bullet was dislodged, there was an explosion very close to him, as the artillery in those days used gunpowder. At that point, he was in imminent danger of dying, and unable to communicate, so one of the priests in the "Convent del Carmine" of the church where the incident took place, administered the last rites, or the Sacrament which used to be called Extreme Unction. The next day another priest was able to get from him his confession, and absolve him of any of his sins, and therefore assisted him in dying.

Erudita
calcinare

Post by calcinare »

Thank you so much, Erudita! I really appreciate your assistance. This is much different than any death record I have come across in my research so far. I will have to look further into whether or not there was some sort of battle/war going on at this time in this area. I'll assume that the convent was in San Giovanni in Galdo itself since that is where the death record was created.

Thank you as well for the information regarding the word "conoscente".
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Yes, the convent was in S. Giovanni in Galdo.

Erudita