Antonio Colautti birth

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
khoney
Elite
Elite

Antonio Colautti birth

Post by khoney »

Would someone please translate the birth record of Antonio Colautti, index number 68?

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... 0.jpg.html

Thank you,
k
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Antonio Colautti birth

Post by erudita74 »

Antonio was born at 2 a.m. on the 2nd of Nov 1880 in the house in Castians di Mura # 22 (Castians delle Mura is a frazione or hamlet of the town of Bagnaria Arsa). His father was Giacomo Colautti, age 27. a farmer in this town, and for the mother, the record states "to a woman to whom he wasn't married or in any degree related." So, the identity of the mother of the infant is not given in the record.

Erudita
khoney
Elite
Elite

Post by khoney »

Erudita,

Thank you for translating this birth registration. Unfortunately this is not the same Antonio I am looking for.

My husband's great grandfather Antonio Cerbone's mother is shown on his marriage certificate as Gaetana Colletti. I had hoped there was an index error since the names are close as well as the date of birth. Antonio's father is shown as Giacomo Cerbone but the family story regarding Antonio and Gaetana's immigration to the USA in the 1890's sounded a little fishy so would not be surprised if his parents had not married.

Again, thank you for your help.
k
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

I don't see the Cerbone surname in the birth indices for this town. Maybe you're searching records from the wrong town. How did you determine that Bagnaria Arsa was the town you needed for this ancestry?
Erudita
khoney
Elite
Elite

Post by khoney »

Actually I was hoping to have finally located a record showing where this side of the family came from in Italy. All of the records I have found so far only show “Italy”.

According to the census records Antonio and Gaetana first came to the US in 1893 or 1894 and then again in 1900 though I could not find them in the passenger indexes. The 1900 census shows Gaetana was a widow having only one child which would be Antonio. She is also shown as having the last name of Cerbone. Her death record in 1939 shows her father as Antonio Coletti which is another reason I thought she and Giacomo Cerbone may not have been married.

I thought it odd that the birth record Antonio Colette would say the mother did not want to be identified but the father did. Do you come across this very often?

karen
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Karen
I finally made progress. Just found the baptism record (#601) of Antonino Carbone born to Giacomo Carbone and Gaetana Colletti who were a married couple in the town of Corleone, Palermo Province, Sicily. He was born on December 12, 1881 and baptized on the 13th in the parish of San Martino. I have to see if I can find their marriage record, as I found something earlier today, in another town actually, which led me to investigate the town of Corleone. I'll explain, if it pans out. Let me try to find the marriage record first.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2046915
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Marriage of Giacomo Pasquale Carbone and Gaetana Colletti on Feb 7, 1878 in the parish of San Martino in Corleone

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2046915

He was the son of deceased Antonino (Carbone)* and Bridget Menna? (Mena is the surname in Afragola, Napoli). They had been a married couple in Afragola, when he was alive.

Gaetana Colletti, the daughter of deceased Antonio (Colletti) and living Lucia di Carlo of this town.

*Cerbone appears to be the spelling of the surname in the records I saw in Afragola, but the surname Carbone also currently exists in that town.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

I don't know if the Giacomo Cerbone, father in the two records below, is yours, but I suspect that he is. The problem is that I can't find a civil marriage record, or civil death record for him in Corleone, and the 1881 civil births in Corleone are missing, so I can't locate his son Antonino's Dec 1881 civil birth record.

The first record is a transcription of a birth act for an Anna Cerbone which was found among the Afragola, Napoli Province, civil records. The father, Giacomo Cerbone, appeared on the 10th, at the town hall in Corleone to declare the birth, but the birth had taken place in Corleone on Sept 9, 1879, at 11:45 P.M., in the house on via Guarneri, #5. He was 24 years old, the son of deceased Antonio, and was living in Corleone but was from the town of Afragola. The infant, Anna Cerbone, was born from his union with a woman to whom he wasn’t married, or who was not a relative in any degree, which would be an obstacle to the recognition of the infant.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cat=974488

The following is the civil death record in Corleone of Anna Cerbone, age 10 months. She died in the same house where she was born. The death was on July 23, 1880 at 6:30 P.M. Her father was Giacomo Cerbone and her mother is listed as "madre ignoto" (unknown mother).

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2051639

Anyway, it was finding the transcription of Anna's birth record among the Afragola civil records yesterday, which led me to the town of Corleone to look for Giacomo and Gaetana there.
khoney
Elite
Elite

Post by khoney »

Erudita,

Wow! This is fantastic. Thanks to you help I can now I can finally move forward with branch of the family!

I am a little bit confused about Ann’s birth being in Corleone but the registration in Afragola. Any idea why that would be? I can see why the mother would not want to be named since Giacomo was married to Gaetana and according to the family story it would not have been his only affair.

Other than Anna’s birth, was there a mention of age or occupation of those mentioned in the documents?

Thank you again,

Karen
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

To clarify-Anna was born in Corleone and her birth was registered there and not in Afragola. An authentic COPY of her birth record from Corleone. however, was sent to the town official in Afragola, and was received by him on Sept 13th. It was to be included in the town of Afragola's registers, as her father, Giacomo, was from that town.

The church records I found have no ages or occupations. The birth record of Anna gives Giacomo's age as 24, meaning that he was born about 1855. That record also gives his occupation as industrioso (manufacturer/trader).

Erudita
khoney
Elite
Elite

Post by khoney »

Erudita,

Once again thank you. I see that I still have a lot to learn about customs and/or laws in Italy. It is certainly fun learning.

Karen
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Karen
I have to leave but just found the death record of Giacomo's father. I'll try to post it later or tomorrow. He had two marriages. Still struggling with the surname of his second wife who was Giacomo's mother. Also found Giacomo's birth record.
Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Birth of Giacomo Pasquale Gennaro Cerbone
In Afragola on June 2, 1855

His father was Don Antonio Cerbone, son of deceased Don Pasquale (Cerbone), age 55, a property owner living in this town on Strada Misericordia. His mother- Donna Brigida Manna/Menna, age 30, the legitimate wife of Don Antonio, who was living with her husband. The infant was born on the 2nd at midnight in his own house (address above) and was given the name Giacomo Pasquale Gennaro (Cerbone). He was baptized on June 4th in the parish of San Giorgio.

Death of Don Antonio Cerbone in Afragola on Dec 1, 1869 at 9 P.M.

He was age 70, a landowner, and the widower in the first marriage of Donna Giacinta Tavassi.. He was the husband in the second marriage of Brigida Manna (so she was still alive when he died). He had been born in Afragola and was the son of deceased Don Pasquale (Cerbone), a notary, and deceased Donna Santa Pecchia.
Neither of the two individuals who declared the death, including Pietro Cerbone, were relatives of the deceased.

* I cannot find the two marriages of Don Antonio Cerbone among the Afragola civil records.
khoney
Elite
Elite

Post by khoney »

Erudita,

Once again you amaze me! Just about when I was giving up hope of ever finding anything out about this part of the family you provide all of this help. May I ask where you found it? I looked on Family Search and Portale Antenati but could not locate the record you provided yesterday.

Karen
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Karen

To get to the Afragola records, you have to search the town name in the family search catalog. Once you do, it will take you to the link I am providing below. Wherever you see the camera icon on the right side, you can click on it, and you will see those records online. The microfilm titles with a reel icon have to be ordered for use at a local family history center.

https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library

I tried to find a death record for Don Pasquale Cerbone to get you back another generation but had no luck. There are quite a few Pasquale Cerbone in the death indices, but none with the title "Don." I was thinking the one who died in 1826 might be a possibility, as his father was a Giov Giacomo, but the 1826 death records appear to be missing.

Erudita