Military Record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
cdemarco
Rookie
Rookie

Military Record

Post by cdemarco »

During my recent trip to Italy, I stumbled across the Benevento State Archive, and with it my gg-grandfather, Pasquale Ruggiero's, military record for WWI.I've been able to read and translate most of it, but I'm not sure what it all means. In the center portion, describing the military service, I read:

Chiamato alle armi per militari ai [versi] della circolaro N. 67h del 1916 e giunto li 1 Dicembre 1916

Tale nella [943] Centurio Distretto di Napoli li 1 Dicembre 1916

Giunto in territorio dichiarato in istato di guerra li 8 Gennaio 1917

Tale nello compagnia [avvistamento] a Treviglio li 26 Gennaio 1917

Inviato in licenza illimitata li 1 Dicembre 1918

Prosciolto definitivamente dal servizio li 31 Dicembre 1918

Concessa dichiarazione di buona condotta

Which I've translated (using Google Translate) to mean:

Called for military weapons [versus the] Circular N. 67h of 1916 and arrived on 1 December 1916

Such in the [943] Centurio District of Naples on 1 December 1916

Arrived in territory declared in war on 8 January 1917

Such a [sighting] company in Treviglio 26 January 1917

Posted in unlimited license on 1 December 1918

Definitely debunked by the service on 31 December 1918

Granted declaration of good conduct

(square brackets are my most uncertain reading of the handwriting)

But in all that, and in the rest of the record, I can't really find if it says what unit he served in, unless the 943 Centurio is something, and I'm not sure '943' is even a number?. So can anyone with better eyes/knowledge tell who he served with?

(Also, on the side, can anyone tell me what the word is that is used to describe his ear lobe in "Segni Particolari"?)
Attachments
PasqualeRuggieroMilitary.jpg
mmogno
Master
Master

Re: Military Record

Post by mmogno »

cdemarco wrote: 02 Jun 2017, 21:02 During my recent trip to Italy, I stumbled across the Benevento State Archive, and with it my gg-grandfather, Pasquale Ruggiero's, military record for WWI.I've been able to read and translate most of it, but I'm not sure what it all means. In the center portion, describing the military service, I read:

Chiamato alle armi per mobilitazione ai sensi della circolare N. 674 del 1916 e giunto li 1 Dicembre 1916

Tale nella 943 Centuria Distretto di Napoli li 1 Dicembre 1916

Giunto in territorio dichiarato in istato di guerra li 8 Gennaio 1917

Tale nello compagnia smistamento a Treviglio li 26 Gennaio 1917

Inviato in licenza illimitata li 1 Dicembre 1918

Prosciolto definitivamente dal servizio li 31 Dicembre 1918

Concessa dichiarazione di buona condotta

(Also, on the side, can anyone tell me what the word is that is used to describe his ear lobe in "Segni Particolari"?) Loboli orecchio forati
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
cdemarco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cdemarco »

Thank you! Any idea what the 943 Centuria District of Naples is? Would that be his army unit?
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

The Centurie were departments formed from January 1916 with the third-category soldiers, who were set up to perform roadworks or fortifications, usually in relocation or on backward lines. In subsequent periods, the considerable increase in the number of Centurie led to employing in their organic men belonging to categories and classes other than above, however always coming from older classes.
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
cdemarco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cdemarco »

Makes sense as Pasquale was in his late 30s, early 40s during the war. Do you know if there are any resources I could read to get a sense of the work he might have done in his Centuria?
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

cdemarco
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cdemarco »

Wow, neat!