Marriage record 1722, Palermo

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
sertolicell
Rookie
Rookie

Marriage record 1722, Palermo

Post by sertolicell »

Hi,
what does this marriage record contain of relevant information other than groom is Giuseppe Oliveri, widower from Palermo and wife "Eratia Basili (?) et ?", widower also from Palermo? (entry 131):
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cat=559236

Thanks, Roberto
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Marriage record 1722, Palermo

Post by erudita74 »

Basili's first name is Gratia in Latin (Grazia in Italian). Still trying to sort through the record to get the relationships correct. Both groom and bride were widowed, as you already know.
Erudita
sertolicell
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sertolicell »

Grazia, of course. How did I miss that. thanks Erudita.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

This is what I can decipher from this record

Date: Sept 27, 1722

I see only the dates of two banns. I don't see the third. These would have been announced during the Masses. They resulted in no legitimate impediments to the marriage. They were on the 19th and 26th.

The groom was Giuseppe Oliveri. He was a widower. No parents' names are given for him, nor the name of his former spouse.

The bride Grazia Basili. Then there is what appears to be a surname separated between the end of that line and the next, followed by the first name Paolo. She too was widowed. So I am thinking this could be the name of the former husband, but I really don't know. It doesn't appear to be her father's name. Her surname should match her father's, even if she was previously married, which she was, and Italian women maintained their surname given at birth. So Basili would not be the former husband's last name. The problem with the first part of what I believe to be the surname is that I can't decipher the very beginning letters of the name, especially the first letter. I can't find a sample of this letter written among the other records or on a chart. I have no idea what it is, but possibly the letter I (eye) followed by croveri). I've tried searching every combo of beg letters. I'm just not getting it. So, I deinitely need another set of eyes on this part of the record.

Both the groom and bride were from the parish.

The witnesses are seen in other records in this section and were:
Clerico Don Domenico Marchione, and Clerico Don Gaspare Cardella. Clerico and Don are titles.
Erudita
sertolicell
Rookie
Rookie

Post by sertolicell »

Many thanks Erudita. I suppose it could be the same couple being registered here with three children in the "Numerazione delle anime" in 1735 at "Seconda Vanetta amandritta" (same parish of Sant'Ippolito al Capo):

However, what annoys me is that the first child seems to be a girl named Lorenza and not a boy named Lorenzo, as I'd expected. On the other hand, the writer sometimes seems to be making o's that looks pretty much like a's - as for example in "Rosario Buffa" married to Maddalena on the next page..

Roberto