Arcangela D'Amore's mother's name

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Biff83
Master
Master

Arcangela D'Amore's mother's name

Post by Biff83 »

This is the 1821 marriage act for my 3x great grandpparents Francesco Saverio Vincitorio and Arcangela D'Amore. I am having trouble deciphering Arcangela's mother's name. I believe her first name is Caterina but am having trouble with her surname. Thanks.
Attachments
VincitorioAmore1821Marriagepg1.jpg
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Re: Arcangela D'Amore's mother's name

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

It looks like Anticaglia.

Angela
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Thanks, Angela.

I was able to verify that Anticaglia was a surname in the town of San Marco in Lamis.

Biff
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Fantastic! I did check the white pages, but couldn't see the name in the town, nor the province, so hoped you would be able to verify that the name existed in the town or province in that time frame.

Angela
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

AngelaGrace56 wrote: 14 Oct 2017, 23:25 Fantastic! I did check the white pages, but couldn't see the name in the town, nor the province, so hoped you would be able to verify that the name existed in the town or province in that time frame.

Angela
I always use stevemorse.org site for checking possible surnames to see if I get any hits from a certain town

Biff
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Biff83 wrote: 15 Oct 2017, 01:58
AngelaGrace56 wrote: 14 Oct 2017, 23:25 Fantastic! I did check the white pages, but couldn't see the name in the town, nor the province, so hoped you would be able to verify that the name existed in the town or province in that time frame.

Angela
I always use stevemorse.org site for checking possible surnames to see if I get any hits from a certain town

Biff

Thanks for the tip, Biff. I actually seldom use that site and know very little about it. When time permits, I will have to investigate it further. I know it is a well respected site. Every time I have used it I get directed to Ancestry.com which I don't subscribe too. What I often do, if Pagine Bianche fails to help, is check on Family Search, for the name and also the town, probably similar to what you are doing with Steve Morse. Any tips for using the Steve Morse website would, I'm sure, be beneficial both to me and others.

Angela
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Angela,

In trying to check possible surnames in a comune in Italy on stevemorse.org, I use the gold form. You must check the "sounds with or is" box if you do not know the first three characters of the last name. Try variations--in the case of San Marco in Lamis, I used three different searches--"san marco," "s marco", and "s. marco". These searches yielded a number of pages of results. By checking the results against surnames on the Italian document in question, I can almost always determine the surname.

Biff
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Thank you for your suggestions, Biff. When I have some spare time (hopefully soon) I'll have a good look at the site. I notice that they do have a section entitled "About this website and how to use it" so will look at that as well. I probably don't need to use the website a lot for my own research, but it is always really good to have a good grip on good research websites, when helping others.

Take care.

Angela