Place of Last Residence/Ship Manifest Help

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Rossonero3
Veteran
Veteran

Place of Last Residence/Ship Manifest Help

Post by Rossonero3 »

Ok, not exactly italian documents, but i have these two passenger manifests that I need some help with.
Most importantly, I'm trying to figure out where in Italy their last place of residence was. One of these manifests is the entire "Lombardi" family and the other is only one of the daughters, Amalia.
- The family manifest is the document called, "Lombardi_Fam_Manifest1902.jpg", the family starts at line #3
- Amalia Lombardi's manifest is the other, she is the first line in the manifest.

On Amalia's manifest (btw, is this the correct name spelling? or would it be Amelia or Amalie?) the Last Residence looks like "Cantalupo" but not sure. Also, if you look all the way to the right side of the document, there's hand written note that looks like it says something about her "parents being in the U.S." but then the rest is maybe something about her or her siblings being held back? This manifest is almost exactly one year after the 'family manifest'.

On the families manifest, it looks like "Colli al Volturno". The closest place to that name would be "Colli a Volturno" in the Province of Isernia, Molise.

Any help would be appreciated.
Attachments
Lombardi_Amalia_Manifest1903.jpg
Lombardi_Fam_Manifest1902.jpg
Researching areas - Marzano Appio, Caserta and Carinola, Caserta
Rossonero3
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Place of Last Residence/Ship Manifest Help

Post by Rossonero3 »

I may have answered my question, but it's still a bit confusing...In the Province of Isernia, there is a commune by the name of "Colli a Volturno" and also a commune called "Cantalupo Nel Sannio" and they are approx. 34km away from each other. Would it make sense that Amalia lists Cantalupo while the family the previous year says Colli a Volturno ?
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Her first name on the manifest looks like Amalia. I believe the town is Cantalupo nel Sannio, in the Province of Isernia, since the manifest reads Italian south. The manifest also reads-parents in US + 8 children, 2 children held in ? for eye trachoma (conjunctivitis).

Last residence is not necessarily place of birth, so if the rest of her family emigrated the year before she did, it's possible she went to live with relatives in this other town after they left Italy.

Erudita
Rossonero3
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Rossonero3 »

erudita74 wrote: 19 Oct 2017, 20:25 Her first name on the manifest looks like Amalia. I believe the town is Cantalupo nel Sannio, in the Province of Isernia, since the manifest reads Italian south. The manifest also reads-parents in US + 8 children, 2 children held in ? for eye trachoma (conjunctivitis).

Last residence is not necessarily place of birth, so if the rest of her family emigrated the year before she did, it's possible she went to live with relatives in this other town after they left Italy.

Erudita
Thank you Erudita, that all makes sense. One thing, Amalia is also listed on the 1902 manifest, so it looks like she was with her family on the first trip, however if you look closely at that 1902 manifest it looks like there's an 'x' next to the #7, not sure what that is indicating.
Rossonero3
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Rossonero3 »

To make matters more confusing...just came across another manifest with half of the family members, but this shows the ship sailing from Naples in November of 1902 arriving in the US in December, which seems impossible if the other manifest shows them on a different ship sailing from Naples in October 1902 arriving in November, just one month earlier.
Attachments
Lombardi_Fam_Manifest_Dec1902.jpg
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

I haven't had a chance to further investigate the previous passenger lists, but on this last one you posted-arriving on Dec 4, 1902, there is an X in front of each name on the list. The X means that they went to temporary detention or were held over for a Special Inquiry hearing. At the end of this passenger list, there are several pages of Aliens held over for special inquiry. This family is on this list which to me means they did arrive on Dec 4th.

If you go to the following link, you can view this page

https://stevemorse.org/ellis2/mm.htm?ba ... morse.org/

Put in T 715 Roll 312 frame 263 and hit display

The family is #52 on the list

The reason why they were detained looks like LPC-likely to be public charge

So, the X in front of Amalia's name on her passenger indicates that she too was held over for inquiry or detained upon arrival. Have to find the page for her passenger list to determine the reason.
Rossonero3
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Rossonero3 »

Wow thank you! Great information, I knew immigrants were held or detained but I never knew the term LPC before, very interesting.
How would you explain the family being on two ships in such a short time span? The 1st one arriving in New York on what looks like Nov 6th, then the 2nd one sailing from Italy on November 19th.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

On the Sardegna passenger list, all family members are listed as never before having been in the U.S. On the earlier Liguria passenger list, the line by each family member's name is actually the name being crossed off of the list. So no member of that family sailed on the Liguria. Also I double checked the detainee list for that ship, and none of their names appear there.

What is the name of the ship on which Amalia arrived in 1903? On this passenger list, Amalia indicates that she had never before been in the U.S. This gives credence to her name being crossed off of the Liguria list too. I need her ship name to find the entire passenger list to see if she was detained when she arrived in 1903.

Erudita
Rossonero3
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Rossonero3 »

The name of Amalia’s ship was the Vancouver
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Okay, I'll check that passenger list, but can't tonight.
Erudita
Rossonero3
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Rossonero3 »

erudita74 wrote: 20 Oct 2017, 03:51 Okay, I'll check that passenger list, but can't tonight.
Erudita
Thanks so much! It’s really appreciated.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

I went through the entire passenger list for the Vancouver to Boston on the family search website and there aren't any pages there for passengers detained or held over for special inquiry. I can't seem to access the passenger list from the stevemorse. org website. For some reason, the images aren't loading there. So I really can't do anything else with Amalia's arrival. Sorry.

Erudita
Rossonero3
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Rossonero3 »

erudita74 wrote: 20 Oct 2017, 14:25 I went through the entire passenger list for the Vancouver to Boston on the family search website and there aren't any pages there for passengers detained or held over for special inquiry. I can't seem to access the passenger list from the stevemorse. org website. For some reason, the images aren't loading there. So I really can't do anything else with Amalia's arrival. Sorry.

Erudita
No problem, I checked also and couldn't find anything. Thank you again for your useful insight and information.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

You're very welcome. BTW, you may find the following website useful in reading passenger list notations.

https://www.jewishgen.org/InfoFiles/Manifests/

Erudita
Rossonero3
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Rossonero3 »

Excellent!