Need help reading Maria Nolfo birth record

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
hercules99

Need help reading Maria Nolfo birth record

Post by hercules99 »

Having a difficult time reading the handwriting and translating Maria Nolfo's birth record. My wife was able to get the gist of things but we are unable to understand the finer details of the record.
Thanks for everyones time!
Attachments
Maria Nolfo birth record.jpg
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Need help reading Maria Nolfo birth record

Post by erudita74 »

Maria Nolfo was born on the 13th of Jan 1888 at 11 P.M. in the house on via Trinacia (no number on the house). Her father Andrea Nolfo, age 28, a barber. Her mother Giovanna Bellino, an industriosa (manufacturer/trader), living with her husband. Town of Mineo.

Erudita
hercules99

Post by hercules99 »

Thanks for the translation. Would I be right in assuming that the witnesses are family members, maybe parents?
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

The witnesses in civil birth records were not necessarily related to the individuals in the record. They were witnesses to the declaration of the birth, and the presentation of the infant, at the town hall, but not to the birth itself. Often town hall witnesses just hung around until they were needed to serve as witnesses and would receive some kind of monetary compensation for doing so. You would have to do detailed research of the two families to determine if these witnesses were in any way related to Andrea and Giovanna, as this record does not indicate to us that they were or they weren't.

I can tell you though that Andrea's parents were Agrippino Nolfo and Maria Limoli.
Giovanna Bellino's parents were Paolo Bellino and Francesca Gallo.

I'll be back as soon as I can with proof of this.

Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Andrea was born on April 20, 1850 about 11 P.M. and was baptized on the 21st in the parish of Santa Maria Maggiore in Mineo. His parents were Maestro* (title) Agrippino Nolfo and Maria Limoli. His godparents were Andrea Damigella and Sebastiana Modica.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... at=1913865

In the margin of his baptism record is his church marriage info. He married Giovanna Bellino, the daughter of Paolo Bellino and Francesca Gallo, on April 28, 1910.

the fathers were deceased at the time of the marriage.

Just so you know, I looked through the online Mineo civil marriage record indices from 1881 to 1910 and couldn't find a civil marriage for Andrea and Giovanna

Erudita
hercules99

Post by hercules99 »

Wow! Thats is a ton of information. Thank you very much. I wish I could buy you a drink.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

You're very welcome. I'm going to give you a chance to look through the civil and church records yourself and come back anytime, if you need help. Some of us get great pleasure from doing our own research, so I don't want to overstep. I do though want you to look at the following link. It's for the baptism of Maria.

Even though the parents are said to be spouses in the baptism record, in the margin is the word "natural" and also a notation saying that Maria was legitimized by their 1910 church record. So it appears that Andrea and Giovanna weren't actually married, at least not in the Church or a religious ceremony, when daughter Maria was baptized. Giovanna is referred to as Andrea's wife in the civil birth record, so they had previously had a civil marriage. I found it, but want to give you a chance to locate it. It's earlier than the indices I previously looked through (hint 1876).

I'm guessing you already have this link to the records in the family history catalog for the town of Mineo

https://www.familysearch.org/search/cat ... =528501-50

Erudita
hercules99

Post by hercules99 »

Erudita,

Thanks for all you help. Although I do enjoy the research it is becoming increasingly more difficult since everything is in Italian. Thanks in advance for any info!

Bill
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

So glad I was able to provide you with some info, Bill. I'm a volunteer here, as are many others, so I'm happy to help, whenever I can.
Erudita
hercules99

Post by hercules99 »

You mention a civil marriage "Giovanna is referred to as Andrea's wife in the civil birth record, so they had previously had a civil marriage. I found it, but want to give you a chance to locate it. It's earlier than the indices I previously looked through (hint 1876)." I tried to find it but had no luck, so if you could please find it again and then decipher everything. It is a lot to ask, the genealogy bug bite me. Thanks!

Bill
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Bill

You will have to sign in to the familysearch.org website with your user name and password to access the images at the links below:

Marriage record-image 342 of 525

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... at=2387640

index-image 358 of 525

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... at=2387640

Marriage record #49 is dated August 5, 1876 at 10:20 A.M. in Mineo

The groom: Andrea Nolfo, never before married, age 26, barber, born and living in Mineo. He was the son of deceased Agrippino (Nolfo) who lived in the town when he was alive, and deceased Maria Limoli, who also lived there when she was alive.

The bride: Giovanna Bellino was age 19, never before married, an industriosa (trader/merchant) born and living in the town. She was the daughter of Paolo Limoli and Francesca Gallo.

Witnesses were Salvadore Limoli, age 25, a manual laborer, and Agrippino Giglio, age 26, a shoemaker. Both witnesses were town residents.

Marriage publications-the first was posted on July 16th and the second on the 23rd. (these were posted to insure that there was no opposition to the marriage).

The bride had the consent of both of her parents. The groom’s parents were deceased, as I previously stated.

Only the groom and town mayor signed the document below, as all of the others were illiterate.
hercules99

Post by hercules99 »

Thanks again for the record and the info! Maybe I'll be able to find some info on my own. Thanks for all your help.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

You're very welcome, Bill. Let me know if you need further help.
Erudita
ameb10
Rookie
Rookie

Post by ameb10 »

Hi! I have ancestors from Mineo as well. Names in my tree are Abbondanza, Nolfo, and Limoli. I think we are related/there is a chance we are cousins. Feel free to message me.
Surnames: Abbondanza/Bondanza, Nolfo, Ragusa, Limoli, Cannizzo, Ticli, Lamonica, D’Angelo, Rana/Rano, Monopoli, Armourso, Sasso, La Vega, Quercia, Cavalla, Simone, di Pinto, Chiaromonte, & Mastrotoaro