IANUZZI, Maria Rosaria BIRTH AND DEATH

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
dmurphy1940
Master
Master

IANUZZI, Maria Rosaria BIRTH AND DEATH

Post by dmurphy1940 »

for translations please.
Attachments
IanuzziMariaRosariaDEATH.jpg
IanuzziMariaRosariaBIRTH.jpg
Grazie,

Dolores
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: IANUZZI, Maria Rosaria BIRTH AND DEATH

Post by erudita74 »

Birth Record dated May 30, 1823 at 9 P.M. in Frigento
Appearing was Antonio Ianuzzi (with one n in this record), son of deceased Giuseppe (Ianuzzi), age 30, a day laborer. He was living in Frigento on Strada Taverna Vecchia. He reported that, on the 30th at 6 P.M., his legitimate wife Marianna Cipriano, age 26, gave birth to their daughter named Maria Rosaria. Maria Rosaria was baptized on the 30th in the parish of Santa Maria Maggiore.

Death Record dated Sept 14, 1859 at 3 P.M. in Frigento
Rosaria Iannuzzi (two n's in this record) was the wife of Gennaro Abbondandolo, son of dec Giuseppe. She died on the 13th at 4 in the evening and was the daughter of deceased Antonio (Ianuzzi), a day laborer, and deceased Marianna Cipriano. She was age 36 and a contadina/peasant in the town. Declarants in this record were Giuseppe Famiglietti, age 48, a mason, and Don Marciano Cipriano, age 73, a priest.
dmurphy1940
Master
Master

Post by dmurphy1940 »

Thank you, Erudita. Could you explain the difference in spellings, one "n" and two "n"s? Is this common?
Grazie,

Dolores
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

You're very welcome, Dolores.

As to the spelling question, you're asking a hard question of a non-native speaker of the Italian language. I haven't formally studied the language since I was in college, so I don't really remember its rules of pronunciation. From my own background in the field of linguistics though, I can tell you that changes in spelling can be brought about by changes in pronunciation. As to Italian, I've read that, if you're listening to a native Italian speaker, you can tell if there is a double letter, as double letters always take twice as long as single letters to pronounce. Even in earlier times, scribes and church officials spelled names phonetically; i.e.,how they sounded to them, rather than according to any specific spelling rules. So I think that a change in how the surname Ianuzzi was pronounced is what brought about its spelling change to Iannuzzi.

Erudita
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

http://www.tuttiicognomi.com/cognomi-I.htm

IANNUZZELLI
IANNUZZI
IANNUZZO
JANNUZZI
JANNUZZO
"Iannuzzi è stato da me studiato con apposite ricerche d'archivio: deriva dalla forma cognominale Iannuzzo (variante della forma dialettale Ianni, derivata a sua volta dal nome Giovanni), trasformatasi in Iannuzzi tra '800 e '900, (ma è ancora esistente per alcuni rami la forma Iannuzzo). Il cognome in Campania proviene dalla provincia di Avellino, dalla zona del comune di Pietrastornina e dintorni, e dal Salernitano dalla Piana del Sele: i due rami in questione sembrerebbero appartenere ad un unico ceppo proveniente dalla vicina Puglia (con ogni probabilità i Iannuzzi e i Iannuzzo campani discendono da due fratelli emigrati nel '600 dalla Puglia per motivi ancora poco chiari e datisi all'attività agricola nei luoghi -nel salernitano e nell'avellinese- dove si stanziarono: gli studi in merito sono ancora in corso). Altri ceppi consistenti sono oggi presenti in Puglia e in Calabria nel cosentino, ma non sarei in grado di stabilire correlazioni fra essi. Tra le famiglie Iannuzzi e Iannuzzo emigrate in altri Stati dall'Italia, molte hanno modificato il cognome in Januzzi/o o Jannuzzi/o, oppure in Yannuzzi/o o Yanuzzi/o. Anche nel nostro paese sono registrate famiglie Jannuzzi: è questo ad esempio il caso dell'illustre giornalista e politico On. Lino Jannuzzi, originario di Grottolella in provincia di Avellino (la variazione del cognome in questo caso è dovuta ad errore di trascrizione anagrafica da Iannuzzo a Iannuzzi, al plurale per indicare tutto il nucleo familiare, divenuto infine Jannuzzi)."
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

G
I'm sorry, but I don't feel that your explanation addresses the issue of the spelling change of the surname (from Ianuzzi to Iannuzzi) in the town of Frigento records from one time frame to another.
Erudita
dmurphy1940
Master
Master

Post by dmurphy1940 »

Thanks, Erudita, and mmogno also, but I am unable to read the Italian post.
Grazie,

Dolores
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Dolores
If mmogno doesn't translate his Italian post for you, then I suggest you copy and paste it into google translator. Although it doesn't always give you an accurate translation, it will, at least, give you a gist of what the post is about. Sorry, but I don't have time to translate it for you today. Too much to do to prepare for the holiday and our trip to visit family.
Erudita
dmurphy1940
Master
Master

Post by dmurphy1940 »

That's fine, Erudita. I thought about googling it but I suspect that it won't help much. We shall see.
Grazie,

Dolores
dmurphy1940
Master
Master

Post by dmurphy1940 »

It actually translated well!

"Iannuzzi has been studied by me with special archival research: it derives from the Iannuzzo cognominal form (variant of the dialectal form Ianni, derived in its turn from the name Giovanni), transformed in Iannuzzi between '800 and' 900, (but it still exists for some branches the form Iannuzzo). The surname in Campania comes from the province of Avellino, from the area of ​​Pietrastornina and surroundings, and from Salerno from Piana del Sele: the two branches in question would seem to belong to a single stock coming from nearby Puglia (in all likelihood Iannuzzi and Iannuzzo campani descend from two brothers emigrated in the '600 from Puglia for reasons still unclear and given to agricultural activity in the places in Salerno and nell'Arellinese- where they settled: the studies in this regard are still in progress.) Other large strains are present today in Puglia and Calabria in the Cosenza area, but I would not be able to establish correlations between them: Iannuzzi and Ia families nnuzzo emigrated to other states from Italy, many changed the surname to Januzzi / o or Jannuzzi / o, or to Yannuzzi / o or Yanuzzi / o. Also in our country are registered Jannuzzi families: this is for example the case of the illustrious journalist and politician Hon. Lino Jannuzzi, originally from Grottolella in the province of Avellino (the variation of the surname in this case is due to error of registry transcript from Iannuzzo in Iannuzzi, in the plural to indicate the whole family nucleus, which finally became Jannuzzi). "
Grazie,

Dolores
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Yes, I think it gives you the main ideas of mmogno's post. Glad it worked out, Dolores.
Erudita
dmurphy1940
Master
Master

Post by dmurphy1940 »

:)
Grazie,

Dolores