Please Help Me Read These Two Names

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Pagano / Tria
Rookie
Rookie

Please Help Me Read These Two Names

Post by Pagano / Tria »

Hello and Ciao!

I am in the process of claiming Italian citizenship through my great-great-grandparents and need to request my great-great-grandmother Gelsomina Ferrara's birth certificate. To help with the request, I am trying to determine her parents' names, but the writing on the ship manifest is very hard to read. On top of the visual difficulties, I'm also not super familiar with 19th century Italian names, so maybe I just don't know what word it is I'm looking at :lol:

If I had to guess, it looks like the two lines say “Father Domenico Ferrara “ and “Mother Ferrara Carolina,” but those are far from confident. What do you think?

I've included a photo specifically of the two lines in question, as well as PDFs of the original documents with the row and column location in the file names.

Thank you!
Attachments
MOTHER (Row 7, Column 11).pdf
MOTHER (Row 7, Column 11)
(1.53 MiB) Downloaded 120 times
FATHER (Row 5, Column 11).pdf
FATHER (Row 5, Column 11)
(1.17 MiB) Downloaded 130 times
Both Names
Both Names
Pagano / Tria
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Please Help Me Read These Two Names

Post by Pagano / Tria »

UPDATE: In the last week I've since found a different document that shows Domenico and Carolina, so I no longer need help with this.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Glad you found a corroborating document :-)

The manifest definitely shows Domenico Ferrara as the father, and Carolina Ferrara as the mother.

T.
Pagano / Tria
Rookie
Rookie

NEW CHALLENGE Re: Please Help Me Read These Two Names

Post by Pagano / Tria »

Hello again -

Round Two! What on Earth is this surname? "Maria ______"
Attachments
Messages Image(3441215623).png
Messages Image(3441215623).png (37.81 KiB) Viewed 2818 times
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Cestari is a surname in Marsico Nuovo, so possibly it is meant to be that. Would be helpful to see a larger sample.
Erudita
Pagano / Tria
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Pagano / Tria »

erudita74 wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 18:26 Cestari is a surname in Marsico Nuovo, so possibly it is meant to be that. Would be helpful to see a larger sample.
Erudita
Here is the full marriage certificate from Bracigliano. It's the groom's mother that has me confused.
Attachments
Giuseppe Sarnelli and Maria Concetta Albano Marriage Certificate.jpg
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

I think it's Testa which is found in Salerno Province. I also see that a Luigi Testa came from the town through Ellis Island.
Erudita
Pagano / Tria
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Pagano / Tria »

erudita74 wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 19:00 I think it's Testa which is found in Salerno Province. I also see that a Luigi Testa came from the town through Ellis Island.
Erudita
I think you're correct! That's the weirdest "T" I've ever seen but I just managed to track down the Giuseppe's birth certificate and it clearly says Maria Testa. Oddly, Sarnelli becomes Sarnella, but that's not that surprising I suppose.
Attachments
Giuseppe Sarnelli Birth Certificate.jpg
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Yes, it's clearly Testa in this other document. Glad you found it to corroborate.

Also, it is always helpful to us volunteers, who work with old Italian script, to see a document in its entirety, as well as to know the town from which the document came. Thanks.

Erudita
Pagano / Tria
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Pagano / Tria »

erudita74 wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 19:27 Yes, it's clearly Testa in this other document. Glad you found it to corroborate.

Also, it is always helpful to us volunteers, who work with old Italian script, to see a document in its entirety, as well as to know the town from which the document came. Thanks.

Erudita
Noted, thank you!
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

You're very welcome. Happy to help.
Erudita
Pagano / Tria
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Pagano / Tria »

erudita74 wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 19:27 Erudita
Actually, if I could bother you again, I have two questions about the index page for the same Giuseppe (#37): http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

What is his birthdate? It looks like 11 _etto, so I'm guessing Settembre, but the first letter does not match the "S" in Sarnella, and there are later entries in Agosto, so it wouldn't seem to be in order. And to add to the confusion, this archive has July 10: http://www.archiviodistatosalerno.benic ... leva/57122

Also, what does the note in the observations column mean? It seems the say "l'auguirinio Milone Sindu." Was there an augur involved?
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Pagano / Tria wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 20:03
erudita74 wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 19:27 Erudita
Actually, if I could bother you again, I have two questions about the index page for the same Giuseppe (#37): http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... ewsIndex=0

What is his birthdate? It looks like 11 _etto, so I'm guessing Settembre, but the first letter does not match the "S" in Sarnella, and there are later entries in Agosto, so it wouldn't seem to be in order. And to add to the confusion, this archive has July 10: http://www.archiviodistatosalerno.benic ... leva/57122

Also, what does the note in the observations column mean? It seems the say "l'auguirinio Milone Sindu." Was there an augur involved?

July 11th is the date in the index. The notation in the margin -the signatures of the town mayor and town clerk
Pagano / Tria
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Pagano / Tria »

erudita74 wrote: 11 Mar 2018, 20:35
July 11th is the date in the index.
Why does the entry above say Luglio but this one does not? I just want to understand in case I encounter something like this again.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Go back in the index to entry #34 for Grazia Albano. There it says 2 Luglio (July 2)

The next entry says 7 detto, then the one after that is 9 detto, and yours is 11 detto. The word detto means as mentioned above. So it's kind of like using ditto marks in place of writing the month July over and over.

Erudita