Immigration / Ship Certificate Translation

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
hallsandgrants
Rookie
Rookie

Immigration / Ship Certificate Translation

Post by hallsandgrants »

Greetings I would like help with the attached certificate. To begin with I am not certain what it is or what its purpose is, but it is obviously related to immigration. Can someone please tell me what it is? Second, can I please get a translation of all the writing on it? I have attached the image to this message but in case the resolution is not large enough to allow for it all to be read, I have also attached it via the Google Photo link below.

In that regard to get an enlarged view: click once on the link itself to open a page ; then click once on the image itself. Then once that view opens see the four icons in the upper right corner of that page and then slide your mouse over the second icon from the image (edit). Click once on that and you should see a magnifying glass icon with a "+" in it (zoom feature) appear next to the upper right corner of the image. Click once on that icon and a shaded black box with a smaller light color box inside it will come up next to the certificate. Put your mouse on the smaller light colored box and move it around inside the larger black box and it will zoom anything that is under it. If you can figure this out this feature allows you to move around and enlarge all parts of the certificate and enlarge it. Thanks In advance, Ciao!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/p8csDdGLstpf8bZv6
Attachments
Anthony Margiotta Immigration Certificate 1a.JPG
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Immigration / Ship Certificate Translation

Post by Tessa78 »

Yes, this is an immigration certificate (passport) issued to Antonio Nicola Margiotta, son of deceased Giuseppe, in 1888 to go to New York. It indicates that he is free to leave the country. The passport was released at Potenza on 22 February 1888, and is valid for one year.

Left column:
No. of Register 10
No. of Passport 457
Age - 22
Height - medium
Hair - brown
Eyebrows - same
Eyes - "doe-like?"
Beard - scarce/meager
Other particular signs - none

Born in Baragiano
Resides in Baragiano

Full name: Antonio Nicola Margiotta

***EDIT TO ADD***

The passport gives his age as 22 in Feb 1888, suggesting he was born in Baragiano, Potenza, about 1865-7.
I checked the 1866 and 1867 births for Baragiano (1865 is not available) and found only this birth act for a Nicola or Antonio Margiotta.

POSSIBLY the Antonio Nicola Margiotta above - BUT there is a curious name "mixup?" The "Antonio" and "Giuseppe" on the passport seem to be "exchanged" here.
Nicola Giuseppe Margiotta - born 16 March 1866.
Father: Antonio Margiotta [son of Nicola}, 38, specialty grocer
Mother: Filomena Bevilacqua, his wife, 26, [daughter of Pasquale], specialty grocer.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=779134

T.
hallsandgrants
Rookie
Rookie

Post by hallsandgrants »

Thank you so much for this information, and for finding it so fast. I am finding the Margiotta surname to be quite common, and the same thing for the given name Antonio! However, and despite the given name issues, I think there is a really high probability that you have found his birth record. Since the 1888 passport says his father was dead, I wonder if he felt it was OK to "assume" his father's name after his death? As always, further research required!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

That is a possibility - the "assumption" of the name...

I have been checking the birth acts in Baragiano (so far 1861, 62, 63, 66, 67 - as 64 and 65 are missing) and I have NOT found a Margiotta birth recorded with a father with given name Giuseppe...

Margiotta is a common surname, but the town of Baragiano is small and the records are easy to search.

I will see if I can find a death act for a Giuseppe before 1888.

T.
hallsandgrants
Rookie
Rookie

Post by hallsandgrants »

Thank you again! Here is more information: the 1900 census for him says he and his wife "Mary" were married for 20 years (marriage date about 1880 in Italy). I do not know where they were married but I believe 2 of their 4 surviving children in 1900 (she is the mother of 8 with 4 living) were born in Italy: Elvina and Louisa. So, I will have to try to look for his marriage record and/or the birth records for his daughters; they may have more information about his birthname
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

hallsandgrants wrote: 03 Sep 2018, 20:44 Thank you again! Here is more information: the 1900 census for him says he and his wife "Mary" were married for 20 years (marriage date about 1880 in Italy). I do not know where they were married but I believe 2 of their 4 surviving children in 1900 (she is the mother of 8 with 4 living) were born in Italy: Elvina and Louisa. So, I will have to try to look for his marriage record and/or the birth records for his daughters; they may have more information about his birthname
Well... that would mean he was married before the passport was issued in 1888 @ age 22, and that he was married at age 14!

Can you post the 1900 Census? or a link to it?

T.
hallsandgrants
Rookie
Rookie

Post by hallsandgrants »

Yes thank you the 1900 census could have an error about how long they were married... but it also says Antonio's birthdate is March 1860 and his wife's is December 1861. So, I am beginning to think the 1888 passport has an age error (he probably was not 22 in 1888). See the link below... I included the 1900 census records in that link... the Margiotta family is at the bottom of the first page and top of the second page... it shows the presumed month and year birthdates for the entire family. I am POSITIVE that census record is for the same Antonio Margiotta that is on the passport... the Margiotta surname is common but the passport was handed down in the family and that 1900 census record correctly shows the known people in the family at that time... I did not post it yet but the 1910 census for "Antonio Margiotta" his second wife Anna and son George says Antonio was born in 1855 and emigrated to the USA in 1888... and the 1920 census for "Tony Margiotta" his wife Anna and son George says Tony was born in 1859. Finally, the 1925 NY State census for Anthony Margiotta and his son George and family says he was born in 1860. So, Antonio may have been born some time between 1855 and 1860 based on those four census records.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/p8csDdGLstpf8bZv6
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

I will take a look at the marriage index for 1880 in Baragiano.

***EDIT TO ADD***

I checked the publication of marriage banns from 1879 - 1886 in Baragiano. The reason I checked the banns is that the marriage was usually held in the hometown of the bride, and just in case the bride was from another town, I did not want to miss it if I searched the marriages.

That being said - and looking at the birth of daughter, Elvina, in 1886...

Here is a POSSIBLE marriage (though the bride is NOT named Maria/Mary)
#1 - dated 4 January 1886 in Baragiano
Appearing before the official was
ANTONIO NICOLA MARGIOTTA, 26 (agreeing with the 1860 birth on the 1900 Census), messenger (agreeing with the occupation on the passport), residing in Baragiano; son of deceased Don (title) Giuseppe [Margiotta] (also agrees with the name of the father on the passport,) middleclass citizen, who resided in Baragiano; and of Donna (title) Clementina Felitti, middleclass, residing in Baragiano.
AND
VINCENZA LANDOLFO, 24
, housewife, residing in Baragiano; daughter of Giuseppe [Landolfo], blacksmith, residing Buccino; and of Carmela Bafta, housewife, residing in Buccino
Banns posted on 10, 17, and 21 January 1886.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2043547

HERE is the actual marriage on 31 January 1886. (#1)
In the marriage act they asked to have recognized a daughter born 5 October 1881 who was given the names Luisa and D'Andolfi, as their legitimate daughter. It also corrects the mother's surname from D'Andolfi to Landolfo. (Maybe that is why they indicated on the Census that they were married about 1880)
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cc=2043547

Here is the birth act in 1859 of the Antonio Nicola Margiotta in the above marriage.
Dated 19 January 1859 in Baragiano
Father: Don Giuseppe Margiotta, son of deceased D. Gerardo Margiotta, age 33, middleclass, residing in Baragiano
Mother: Donna Clementina Felitti, 30, his wife, residing with him.
The child was born on the 17th of the month, at 2 PM at home.
He was given the name ANTONIO NICOLA
Baptism on the 19th at the parish church.
http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... 7.jpg.html

*** Here is the birth of Luisa D'Andolfi/Landolfo, in 1881 in Baragiano
https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/18 ... 4499-00028

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Continuing on with the children of the couple...

Here is the birth act of Elvira Giuseppa Margiotta in 1886.
#14 - dated 18 February 1886
Father: Antonio Margiotta, 26, messenger, residing Baragiano
Mother: Vincenza Landolfo, his wife
Birth on the 15th at 8:35 AM
https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/18 ... 4505-00006

NOTE: It appears that Vincenza just "adopted" the name MARY in the USA. :-)

And the birth of Luisa Giuseppa Francesca Margiotta in July 1888.
The midwife made the declaration in place of the husband, Antonio Margiotta, because he was in America.
https://www.ancestry.com/interactive/18 ... 4507-00022

~~~The births of Elvira and Luisa agree with the dates of birth in the 1900 US Census.

T.
hallsandgrants
Rookie
Rookie

Post by hallsandgrants »

Tessa, the work you have done is fantastic! Thank you so much. I started out looking for a basic translation and ended up with so much more. Not only did you manage to find these historic records, I believe your analysis of them is correct. So be advised, I may have a few more questions! Grazie e arrivederci!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Prego! :D

Happy to help!

T.