Ferraro marriage record help, please

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
jml1991
Veteran
Veteran

Ferraro marriage record help, please

Post by jml1991 »

This marriage certificate for Antonino Ferraro and Angela Mancuso from Prizzi, Sicily, dated 1639, shows the name of Agostino Ferraro after the father's name of Salvatore. Would this be an alternate name for the son, Antonino, who is getting married? I am hoping it is because I've been searching for a marriage record for my ancestors Agostino Ferraro and Angela, and this is the only one I can find. Would it be correct to assume that Antonino was also known as Agostino? Any thoughts welcome! Thank you!
Attachments
FerraroAnto-MancusoAng marr1639.jpg
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Re: Ferraro marriage record help, please

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

The words that follow Salvatoris look like "vel potius" (meaning or rather/more). The priest may have made an error in calling the father Salvatoris and has then corrected it to Augustinum? I doubt it relates to the name Antonini. (But then, I must admit I've never studied Latin so I may be wrong.)

Angela
jml1991
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jml1991 »

Thank you!
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Happy to help.

Angela :)
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

I've read that "vel potius" can mean "I may better say," and that the Latin phrase therefore does suggest a possible correction, so I believe that Angela is correct in saying that the priest corrected the father's name from Salvatore to Agostino.

Erudita
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

erudita74 wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 22:22 I've read that "vel potius" can mean "I may better say," and that the Latin phrase therefore does suggest a possible correction, so I believe that Angela is correct in saying that the priest corrected the father's name from Salvatore to Agostino.

Erudita
That's interesting. Thank you for that information and for the confirmation. I have a little Latin dictionary which belonged to one of my boys, and just looked up the two words, put them together, and got the gist of what it was saying. One can always be wrong doing this though, so I'm so pleased we have people like you with so much more experience and knowledge with Latin (and other matters).

Hope all is well.

Angela :D
jml1991
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jml1991 »

Very interesting! Thank you to both of you!
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

:D

Angela
mmogno
Master
Master

Post by mmogno »

AngelaGrace56 wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 01:02 The words that follow Salvatoris look like "vel potius" (meaning or rather/more). The priest may have made an error in calling the father Salvatoris and has then corrected it to Augustinum? I doubt it relates to the name Antonini. (But then, I must admit I've never studied Latin so I may be wrong.)

Angela
Buongiorno @Angela
"Augustinum" is accusative case, as "Antoninum", and not genitive, as "Salvatoris".
I believe that Agostino is the correction for Antonino and not for Salvatore.
So it sounds "Ego ... interrogavi Antoninum/Augustinum... filium Salvatoris ....".
G.
Emilio Lussu: “Che ne sarebbe della civiltà del mondo, se l’ingiusta violenza si potesse sempre imporre senza resistenza?” 🇺🇦 Slava Ukraine! 🇺🇦 🇮🇱תחי ישראל🇮🇱
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

mmogno wrote: 15 Sep 2018, 12:05
AngelaGrace56 wrote: 13 Sep 2018, 01:02 The words that follow Salvatoris look like "vel potius" (meaning or rather/more). The priest may have made an error in calling the father Salvatoris and has then corrected it to Augustinum? I doubt it relates to the name Antonini. (But then, I must admit I've never studied Latin so I may be wrong.)

Angela
Buongiorno @Angela
"Augustinum" is accusative case, as "Antoninum", and not genitive, as "Salvatoris".
I believe that Agostino is the correction for Antonino and not for Salvatore.
So it sounds "Ego ... interrogavi Antoninum/Augustinum... filium Salvatoris ....".
G.
Buonasera G.

Thank you for explaining this. (It seems like a complicated way for the Priest to correct an error.) This will be really helpful to jml1991 - hopefully this means he has found his ancestor. :)

Angela
jml1991
Veteran
Veteran

Post by jml1991 »

I wrote a response a few days ago, but I don't see it here for some strange reason (maybe I forgot to hit Submit? It was getting late!), so I will repeat that I very much appreciate all the help from everyone, and the very elegant explanation from G., who has also given me a new way to understand the names! Thank you! I did suspect that the correction applied to Antonino/Agostino, not his father Salvatore, as it was only possible marriage record I could find (after much searching) for Agostino Ferraro and Angela Mancuso. However, it was great to have this confirmed! Thanks again to all!