Birth Certificate Help!

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
joey066

Birth Certificate Help!

Post by joey066 »

Hi! I received the birth certificate of my great grandmother Angela Berni from Parma Italy. I'm having a lot of difficulty reading the Italian Script (I do OK with the typed copies!)

Can anyone help me out? Does it list any names of grandparents on here (giuseppe di ??). That is a large bit of text on the bottom written in, is that typical?

There are two names (witnesses?), does it give their relations? It says something like giaradiara after one, and "peasant" after the other.

After the mothers name, I see it calls her 24 years old, and a peasant, and then a whole lot of words I can't read. Does it give birth locations for the parents?

Thanks to anyone who can help!!

I've posted the image here: (it is big!)
http://www.branchpike.com/berniAngelinaBirth.jpg
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Birth Certificate Help!

Post by ricbru »

Giuseppe fu Francesco (it means that Giuseppe father, deceased, whose name was Francesco)
Parmigiani Elisabetta 24 years old, his wife living with him.
Witness give their age and job
It doesn't give birth location of parents.
You can find this information on her parents marriage application record and marriage record,
bye Riccardo
joey066

Post by joey066 »

Excellent! Thank you greatly!
JohnArmellino
Master
Master

Post by JohnArmellino »

As I’m sure you know, Angela Maria Berni was born in the comune di Bedonia, which is located in the provincia di Parma. The birth record also gives the place of residence for Giuseppe Berni and Elisabetta Parmigiani as Montarsiccio, which is a frazione of the comune di Bedonia. The Registri dello Stato Civile of Bedonia (1806-1910 on 59 reels) has been filmed by the LDS and can be rented at their Family History Centers. The church records (1746-1904 on 2 reels) from Chiesa di San Martino, which is located in the frazione di Montarsiccio, have also been filmed. Finally, the church records for Chiesa di Sant’Antonio in Bedonia (1613-1916 on 10 reels) are also available. I would suggest that you use these sources to search for the marriage record and birth records of Giuseppe Berni and Elisabetta Parmigiani. You can then continue to work your way back in time. Since there are 59 reels of film for the Registri dello Stato Civile, you should have plenty of sources. The church records may be of great help considering the fact that they predate the civil records. Any or all of these sources may be relevant to your search, depending on where your family may have lived at any one point in time. A surname distribution search for both Berni and Parmigiani indicate that there is a substantial concentration of each in the Parma area, so perhaps these surnames are indigenous to that area and you will be able to extend your line considerably with the above records.
John Armellino