Francesco DiBenedetto marriage

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
cj11788
Elite
Elite

Francesco DiBenedetto marriage

Post by cj11788 »

Hello,

Attached is a marriage for Francesco DiBenedetto of Monreale where his parents are Bartolomeo and Vincenza but I don't understand where he is from. It Mentions Monreale but right before that it mentions what looks like Stefano and Cristina. Am I reading it correctly? If so what are Stefano and Cristina

Thanks,

Chris
Attachments
Francesco DiBenedetto Marriage.jpg
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Re: Francesco DiBenedetto marriage

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

It would be really helpful if you would please post the link to the online record. Thanks.

Angela
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Chris
I am reading della Terra di Santo (which is abbreviated as Sto) Stefano e Cristina di questa citta` (then there is what looks like re) followed by Monte (which is Monreale).

I can't find any sections of the city of Monreale which have these areas though, so I don't know what these mean inb this record. I know there are towns called Santa Stefano Camastra and Santa Cristina Gela, but the first is abt an hour and half from Monreale, I believe, and the second is about a half hour away. So I honestly don't know what is meant by the info in this record.

Erudita
cj11788
Elite
Elite

Post by cj11788 »

Thanks Angela. Good to know about attaching the link for the online record.

Thanks Erudita, these records always keep everyone guessing but if they didn't it would be challenging and then everyone would do it.

Thank you all.

Chris
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Happy as always to help, Chris. Just sorry that we can't pinpoint what the record means. I thought they could be districts within the city of Monreale, but I can't find anything to confirm this. Of course, based on the record's year, there could have been areas of feudal holdings. I'm not sure though that researching this concept will yield any positive results, as normally feudal holdings carried the name of property owners and not the names of saints. I also was thinking that there might have been churches in the city with those names and that the record, therefore, is referring to areas or districts near those churches, but I haven't found anything to confirm this idea either. I'm hoping someone else will look at this record and have some other ideas for you.

Erudita
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

My guess is that the word after "Stefano" is not "Cristina". I'm not sure what that word could be...
It might be "oriundo della terra di S(an)to Stefano e citatino (=cittadino-citizen) di questa città di Monte"
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

PippoM wrote: 28 Jun 2019, 16:42 My guess is that the word after "Stefano" is not "Cristina". I'm not sure what that word could be...
It might be "oriundo della terra di S(an)to Stefano e citatino (=cittadino-citizen) di questa città di Monte"
I agree with Pippo. I also don't think that the word after "Stefano" is "Cristina". When I first looked at the record I read all the words as Erudita did but was reading Critina but thought that the word was possibly "Citatina" as in "Cittatina/Cittadina" meaning "this small town"? This is why I asked for the direct link to the record, so that I could flick through the records to see whether the word and town appeaed anywhere else. Maybe "Citatino" (citizen) makes better sense though?

Angela