Old marriage contract translation Di Balsamo (Latin ?)

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
stfrancis
Elite
Elite

Old marriage contract translation Di Balsamo (Latin ?)

Post by stfrancis »

This is a portion of 18th century marriage contract between Di Balsamo and Vicedomini.
I am not sure about the script, even though the wording is quite clear. I can decipher some pieces of information, but not most of it. It is an ecclesiastical document form the Naples area, and it may contain Latin and a several shorthanded terms.

I was hoping one of the volunteers here may be so kind as to attempt translating this. I appreciate it. Thank you.
Attachments
DiBalsamo3.pdf
(1.19 MiB) Downloaded 95 times
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Old marriage contract translation Di Balsamo (Latin ?)

Post by erudita74 »

This is NOT a marriage record. It is a baptism record for Caterina Vecedomini from the Church of Santo Michel Arcangelo all'arena. The priest there found in the 8th book of baptisms, page 28, the following notation:

on the 22nd of Feb 1684 (then there is a correction to the year, yet it still appears to me to read the same year), Caterina, daughter of Francesco Vecedomini and Teresa di Maria, a married couple, was baptized by me, then there is the priest's name-his first name is Lonardo, but I'm having an issue with the rest of his name and the info surrounding it. She was born on the 20th of the stated (month and year). She was held at the Sacred Font (i.e., the baptismal font in the church) by Anna (her surname could be Fontana). Then there is an abbreviation which could be for the word mammina. I think it is for her relationship to this family. I think the italian word means "mamma," but I'm wondering if it was a term of endearment used for the grandmother, who may have served as the infant's godmother at this baptism. Hopefully someone else will look over the record and make any necessary corrections.

Erudita
bbivona
Master
Master

Post by bbivona »

erudita74 wrote: 30 Jun 2019, 15:34 This is NOT a marriage record. It is a baptism record for Caterina Vecedomini from the Church of Santo Michel Arcangelo all'arena. The priest there found in the 8th book of baptisms, page 28, the following notation:

on the 22nd of Feb 1684 (then there is a correction to the year, yet it still appears to me to read the same year), Caterina, daughter of Francesco Vecedomini and Teresa di Maria, a married couple, was baptized by me, then there is the priest's name-his first name is Lonardo, but I'm having an issue with the rest of his name and the info surrounding it. She was born on the 20th of the stated (month and year). She was held at the Sacred Font (i.e., the baptismal font in the church) by Anna (her surname could be Fontana). Then there is an abbreviation which could be for the word mammina. I think it is for her relationship to this family. I think the italian word means "mamma," but I'm wondering if it was a term of endearment used for the grandmother, who may have served as the infant's godmother at this baptism. Hopefully someone else will look over the record and make any necessary corrections.

Erudita

In Sicily in those days a mammina was a midwife. In many of the old birth records where my ancestors are from the child would be presented by a woman "di professione mammina." The term in the Naples area may be similar.
Researching Gibellina, Sicily surnames Bivona, Bonafede, Zummo, Ponzio, Bevinetto, Beninati, Fontana, Cipolla, Bruno, Manfrè, Lanfranca, and Navarra
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

You could be correct, as it was very common for a midwife to serve as infant's godmother and also to be the one who actually carried the infant through the streets to the church from its home for its baptism.
stfrancis
Elite
Elite

Post by stfrancis »

Thank you both, this already more than I could accomplish, it is definite progress.

Just to let you know, this is included in the larger document (which I will post gradually), which is the marriage contract, dated 1702, I believe.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

I'm multi-tasking-

it says fu battezzata (actually it's written as battizzata da me, followed by the priest's name-was baptized by me
stfrancis
Elite
Elite

Post by stfrancis »

I will start posting the others pages, it may be helpful to post some of them in groups to get an idea of the flow...anyway Here is Page 2 for Fabrizio....
Attachments
p2.pdf
(1.12 MiB) Downloaded 66 times
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

The banns of marriage were read aloud to the congregation of this parish on the 24th, 25th, and 29th of the past month of June and resulted in there being no Canon law impediments to the marriage between Fabrizio di Balzamo, a widower living in Pollana, and Caterina Vecedomini, of our parish. Dated July 21, 1702. I can't decipher the abbreviation which appears after her name.
stfrancis
Elite
Elite

Post by stfrancis »

I believe she was from Napoli (possibly in the City), the abbreviation could be for "napoletana" ...maybe :wink:
(I think there is a church San Michele Arcangelo in Naples, but I'm not sure it matches exactly).

You are doing a wonderful effort!

These are pg 3,4.
Attachments
Pg3.pdf
(1.4 MiB) Downloaded 83 times
pg4.pdf
(1.56 MiB) Downloaded 78 times
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

The third record is from the parish church of S. Giacomo of Pollena. It states that Fabrizio di Balzamo is a widow who has been living in my parish (this is what the parish priest there is stating) for a long time. It also says that marriage is being contracted between him and Caterina Vicedomini of the city of Naples, so you're correct about the abbreviation in the other record, and I see it clearly now. There is reference to the dates of the three banns-24th, 25th, and 29th of June (banns were posted in the parishes of both prospective spouses) and they resulted in no impediments to the marriage. This record is dated in Pollena on July 20, 1702.

I quickly looked over the next record, but need more time with it. One thing I noticed though is that Fabrizio's surname "di Balzamo" is stated to be an alias in the next record, but I haven't yet figured out what his actual surname was. The next record though appears to be his previous marriage record, and his parents' names are also given in that record.

Erudita
stfrancis
Elite
Elite

Post by stfrancis »

Here is more regarding his name ....
Attachments
Pg5.pdf
(1.04 MiB) Downloaded 84 times
Pg6.pdf
(1.41 MiB) Downloaded 83 times
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

bbivona wrote: 30 Jun 2019, 15:52
erudita74 wrote: 30 Jun 2019, 15:34 This is NOT a marriage record. It is a baptism record for Caterina Vecedomini from the Church of Santo Michel Arcangelo all'arena. The priest there found in the 8th book of baptisms, page 28, the following notation:

Erudita

In Sicily in those days a mammina was a midwife. In many of the old birth records where my ancestors are from the child would be presented by a woman "di professione mammina." The term in the Naples area may be
I agree with with bbivona about the abbreviation but I believe that the correct spelling of the word in Napoli might be "mammana"

Angela
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

I'm having trouble deciphering the abbreviation for the name of the parish in pdf 4. I know it is parish of Saints.... The record is from that parish's book of matrimony, book #3, page 46. Dated Oct 19, 1686 for the marriage between Fabrizio d'Audano (sp?) alias delli Belsamo, son of Gennaro (surname ?) and Giovanna Fierro of the hamlet of Massa di Somma, Naples and Caterina de Rago, daughter of Carlo Antonio (de Rago) and Giulia de Serio of this parish. So Caterina de Rago was Fabrizio's previous spouse.

Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Thanks, Angela. I am not familiar with that word.

Erudita
stfrancis
Elite
Elite

Post by stfrancis »

Thanks, I know it's quite a challenge...and it gets more difficult. But at least we have some names.
I believe the parish is Sant'Elpidio. The name is Dell' Belsamo ( a "dite" name I assume)
Do you see before Caterina Rago's name, Ste. Romane..??? other words preceding are also difficult...
After the first signature, can you read any of the postscript at the bottom...?

Thanks