Latin or Italian translation for Giuesppe Document

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
stfrancis
Elite
Elite

Latin or Italian translation for Giuesppe Document

Post by stfrancis »

This is a document pertaining to the marriage of Giuseppe, and Picardo in Ponticelli, in 1728. It appears to include their births and other information.

It totals 8 pages, a few of them are quite difficult to decipher. I post 2 pages at a time.

Erudita did a great job on the previous document I posted. I am hoping an experienced volunteer can take a crack at this one.
Attachments
GiuseppeBalsamoPicardoMarriage1728(1B).jpg
GiuseppeBalsamoPicardoMarriage1728(2).jpg
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Latin or Italian translation for Giuesppe Document

Post by erudita74 »

Here's the top document. Can't read the bottom one at all.

The Reverend Parish Priest of Santa Maria della Neve of the hamlet of Ponticelli-announced the three banns of marriage, to the congregation, during the solemn Mass (the first on Feb 1, the second on Feb 2, and the third on Feb 8th. These resulted in no impediments to the upcoming marriage of Giuseppe di Balsamo, a native of the parish of Massa, but who from childhood has lived in this parish, and Caterina Picardo, of my parish.
stfrancis
Elite
Elite

Post by stfrancis »

Great.
I post 2 more.
Attachments
3 (1).jpg
3 (2).jpg
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Parish of the hamlet of Pollena, bk 3, page 27
August 28, 1706
Baptism of Pietro Giuseppe di Balzamo, son of Fabrizio (di Balzamo) and Caterina Vicedomini, a married couple. He was baptized by me, Don Gaetano Majone, parish priest, born on the 27th and raised up to the Sacred Font by Dianora Vitiello, midwife (she was the infant’s godmother).

Parish Priest of Santa Maria della Neve of the hamlet of Ponticelli-baptism record on p. 100, dated June 14, 1706
Caterina Picardo, daughter of Salvatore Picardo and Angiola Autiero, a married couple, was baptized by me, Don Mateo Riccardo, parish priest, and held at the Sacred Font by Giuseppe Vitagliano (godfather); the midwife was Prudenzia Riccardo (it’s not clear to me, if she was the infant’s godmother at this baptism but, more than likely, she was).

Some links for you concerning Neopolitan vocab

https://it.wiktionary.org/w/index.php?t ... ano&from=A

mammana (there should be an accent over the second letter a`)-it is the dialect word for levatrice, which is the Italian word for a midwife, as Angela told us in your other thread

Nenella, which we saw in your other thread, is a term of endearment-see the link below

https://sites.google.com/site/wikinapol ... neapolitan
stfrancis
Elite
Elite

Post by stfrancis »

Great, all noted.
Useful links also, I will just have to practice now... :D

I post 2 more pages (level of challenge is increased) :
Attachments
5.jpg
6.jpg
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

This is all I am getting with these last two records-

Feb 9, 1728
Ponticello-the free state of the bride to marry
Caterina Picardo of the hamlet of Ponticello, (living in the houses belonging to Antonio Coppola???), daughter of deceased Salvatore (Picardo) and Angela Autiero, wishes to contract matrimony with Pietro Giuseppe de Balzamo. She doesn’t have a husband, either now or in the past, in this town, or any other place in the world. Pietro Giuseppe is not related to her; she is not a member of a religious order; not promised to anyone else. There are no church law (canonical) impediments to the marriage.

Dated the same day –Feb 9, 1728-the free state of the groom to marry
Pietro Giuseppe de Balsamo, of the hamlet of Pollena, son of deceased Fabrizio (de Balzamo) and Caterina Vicedomini. He’s not a monk, a member of a religious order, not promised to another person or married to anyone else in this town or anywhere in the world. There are no canonical or church law impediments for him to contract marriage with Caterina Picardo
stfrancis
Elite
Elite

Post by stfrancis »

I know it looks more and more difficult as we go along. You are doing just fine. Good catch about Fabrizio having deceased by 1728. Thank you.

I post 2 more:
Attachments
7.jpg
8.jpg
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Sorry but I'm having a lot of problems deciphering the handwriting in these last two pdf documents that you posted.

As to the top one-this is all I can decipher. The date is the same as the previous one. It appears to be another "free state" document, as I see "stato libero" at least twice in the document. It starts out with the name Angela Autiero, whom we know is the mother of Caterina Picardo. It says she is of the hamlet of Ponticelli. The next line mentions a Coppola, but the first name appears to be different from the Coppola we saw in another of the records above. It then states she is the daughter of deceased Antonio, and the widow of deceased Salvatore Picardo, whom we already know is the father of Caterina Picardo. Then, except for being able to decipher the last two lines of the document, and the two instances in which I see the words "stato libero," I can't decipher anything else. The last two lines basically say "I have known the aforementioned Caterina Picardo from when she was born in the hamlet of Ponticelli."

It just seems odd to me that her own mother would be making such a statement.

I haven't been able to decipher anything in the last pdf. Sorry.

Erudita
stfrancis
Elite
Elite

Post by stfrancis »

No problem...
I will post the rest of them now to complete the document. Maybe over time we will get additional input and pick up on some missing points.

I know you have done your best! (anything else after this will seem easy :)
Attachments
9.jpg
10.jpg
11.jpg
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Just looking at the last three documents you posted-something quick. The 2nd and 3rd one appear to be duplicates of each other. Doesn't look like a death record for Fabrizio, but I do see it repeated in the first record that he is deceased. That one starts with Caterina Vicedomini's name. Now I am wondering if that record, and the one which started with Angela Autiero's name, could be statements of consent from the two mothers for the marriage of their daughter and son. That would make sense to me, but I can't seem to locate the word for consent in either record. At least not yet. Anyway, this is just a thought for tonight, as I'm not working on these or any other records until tomorrow.
Have a good evening.
Erudita
stfrancis
Elite
Elite

Post by stfrancis »

OK thanks

I think that is all there is. Sorry about the duplication in the last post. (It could be that the 2nd image (page) in the 1st post belongs at the end of this document, but all the pages are accounted for...)
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

I've been looking at these last two pages which, yes, I do believe are part of the same document, and am getting no where with them. You're going to have to have someone else look at them to determine what kind of document this is. I still believe it is a consent from the mother of the groom for her son to marry, although I can't say with certainty that I see the word for consent anywhere in the document. The document does start with a date, which is the same date as the previous documents. Caterina Vicedomini is in the hamlet of Pollena from age 20?, or abt age 20, daughter of deceased Francesco (Vicedomini), and widow of deceased Fabrizio de Balzamo. Then I think it says that she is living with the groom, her son. Later in the document, I believe it mentions there not being any impediments to the marriage of Pietro Giuseppe de Balzamo and Caterina Picardo and makes reference to the some of the things we've seen in previous documents which constitute the "free state" to marry. I can't decipher anything else from this two page record.
stfrancis
Elite
Elite

Post by stfrancis »

That's great. There is a lot to digest. Maybe with time we will find out more.
And I thank you :D