Help with marriage record.

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
italian059
Master
Master

Help with marriage record.

Post by italian059 »

Would someone please translate this marriage record for Antonio Monteleone and Antonina Roccaforte.
Thanks so much. I don't know where to begin trying.

http://dl.antenati.san.beniculturali.it ... ewsIndex=0
bbivona
Master
Master

Re: Help with marriage record.

Post by bbivona »

June 8, 1847, Comune of Santa Margherita, district of Sciacca, province of Agrigento, appeared Antonino Montilione, a single man, age 27, born in Santa Margarita, villager, domiciled here, son of Biaggio (Montilione) deceased, and of Anna Saladino, deceased, and Antonia Roccaforte, a single woman, age 21, born in Montevago, domiciled in Santa Margherita, daughter of Antonino (Roccaforte) deceased, and of Maria ______ Lombardo, deceased.

The following pages indicate that the attachments included 1. the birth acts of the spouses, 2. The death acts of the parents of the spouses and the paternal ancestors of the spouses, and 3. the record of the posting of the intention to marry with no opposition.

The right side of the first page indicates that on June 9, 1847 the parish of Santa Margherita returned a copy of the record indicating that the marriage was carried out on June 9 in the presence of witnesses.
Researching Gibellina, Sicily surnames Bivona, Bonafede, Zummo, Ponzio, Bevinetto, Beninati, Fontana, Cipolla, Bruno, Manfrè, Lanfranca, and Navarra
italian059
Master
Master

Post by italian059 »

Thank you so much for your help.
bbivona
Master
Master

Post by bbivona »

Santa Margherita is right across the Belice Valley from my folks at Gibellina - you can look see one town from the other. You likely know this, but Santa Margherita is where the quintessential Sicilian novel, Il Gattopardo, by Giuseppe Tommasi di Lampedusa is set. If you've never read it, you might find it interesting. It's a great novel and you apparently have ties to the town. (The town is called Donnafugata in the novel, but it's really about Santa Margherita, and the people, also fictional are also based on historical figures in the town.)
Researching Gibellina, Sicily surnames Bivona, Bonafede, Zummo, Ponzio, Bevinetto, Beninati, Fontana, Cipolla, Bruno, Manfrè, Lanfranca, and Navarra
italian059
Master
Master

Post by italian059 »

Thanks so much, bbivona for that information. I went to Sicily last October but never made it to Santa Margherita. Hoping to go there next time. I love Sicily. Most of my family is from Corleone.